The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 plotstack with different size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

interference

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  06:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hey,
I would like to plot 2 graphs as a stack with a shared x-axis. It's working when I'm plotting it with plotstack. But they always have the same size. So how can I make a stacked plot with 2 different sizes, like the one I uploaded here:

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 2015G (64bit)
Operating System: Win7 x64

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi interference,

We added a new feature in Origin 2016 to set common scale across layers for height and width. It's a check box in Layer Management dialog under Graph menu. It automatically adjusts the layer height or width size based on y or x scale ratio. See below where I created a similar plot as yours:

In earlier versions you may not have this option. One workaround would be un-link layers first then you can manually adjust the size of each layer. For example, you can set the height of bottom layer to be certain percentage of a reference layer which will be the top layer, also using the Layer Management dialog and Size/Position tab.

Meili
OriginLab Tech Support
Go to Top of Page

interference

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  11:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
alright, thanks for your answer. I don't use Origin 2016, but I think it wouldn't help as it adjusts the layer height by the y scale ratio... but sometimes I would like to plot graphs with a ration of 1000:1 but still want the upper graph to be only 5 times bigger.

I tried to reproduce your result with following steps:
- I created a stacked plot where both graphs have the same size
- then I unlinked both layers
- then I changed the size of layer 1 to 20% of the reference layer
... okay so far this shrinks only layer 1, such that the lower part is only cut of.
But instead I want to make layer 2 larger again such that the whole graph fills the same space as before. How do I accomplish this? Once I adjust the size of layer 2, it overlaps layer 1 instead of pushing layer 1 down.
Go to Top of Page

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  1:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi interference,

When layers are unlinked, if you close the Layer Management dialog and go back to the graph, you can freely control the size and position for each layer on the graph page. To do this, just click once inside of the layer, then you see the layer frame is selected (showing in below) where the plot is surrounded by a yellow frame with diamond shape buttons. To resize, just drag the diamond button. To reposition, place the cursor inside, when you see the four arrow icon along with cursor then you can drag to move. This way you can pretty much customize whatever way you want to be.

You can also have the layers linked. But if want to set the bottom layer size according to top layer, then it's better to set bottom layer as children layer and top layer as parent layer. When plot from stacked graph template, it may not be like this by default, so need to set correct parent-children first.
Step 1. From Layer Management dialog, you can see by default, Layer2 the top layer is set to be children layer, and Layer1 the bottom one is set to be parent layer, which is the opposite as we want. We can just exchange the layer index to set it correctly. On the very left panel there is a layer index column and a layer name column. Place the cursor on the index column and number 2, and drag to the first row (see below), then you will see that bottom layer is layer 2 now from the preview page. However it breaks the link, but you can go to Link tab, and make Layer2 link to Layer1. (Hint: seems only Layer1 can be set as parent layer, so we need to exchange layer index first to let top layer to be layer1)

Step 2. Select Layer2, go to Size/Position tab, choose Resize ,and Units to be % of Reference Layer, Reference layer to be 1. Say the Height to be 20% refer to layer 1. Click Apply button.

Step 3. Select Layer1 and keep on Size/Position tab, for Resize, choose Units to be % of Page, and if change the height say to be 65% of page, both layers will move together, not overlapping. And if to Move Layer1 the parent layer selected, children layer will move together as well.

Hope this helps, and if you are at North America, welcome to call our TS support line and we can explain to you more in detail.

Meili
OriginLab Tech Support
Go to Top of Page

interference

3 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  02:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Meili,
thank you very much, that solved my problem!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000