The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Colour and grayscale figures from a single graph
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Madi-7

Hungary
6 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  05:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 2016 (64-bit) Sr1
Operating System: Windows 10

Hello,

I am preparing graphs for publication in a journal which uses colours in online version but B&W in print. I have to submit a single figure which looks good in colour as well as black and white. At the moment, I need six different colours which result in as different levels in gray scale as possible. It is a 3D scatter, and for other reasons all should be balls, so I cannot use the other forms or contours. Is there a simple way to find such colours which provides good quality in B&W?

Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Madi

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  11:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Madi,

Although it probably depends on how the colors are converted to the grey scale at the printer,
it is supposed that at least the rainbow colors should be mapped distinguishably in grey scale, I think.
So, you may try to apply the Rainbow7 color list to your symbols.
Unfortunately currently grouping of the 3D plots is not supported, you can assign the colors by the following steps:

1) In Plot Details dialog, under the Symbol tab, expand all branches in the left panel to make the "Originals" selectable.
2) Select the 1st Original in the left panel.
3) Press the Color dropdown to show the Color Chooser, and press "More Colors: System Color List" bar,
and choose "Q03 Rainbow7".
4) Choose the 1st color (=Red)
5) Repeat steps 2)-4) for 2nd, 3rd,... 6th Originals to assign Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.

Note that you may want to skip assigning Yellow or Indigo which might be not so visible or distinguishable,
but Black is available. Also, Grouping 3D plot is planed to be supported in the next version.

You might consider another possible color list, "Q09 ColorBlindSafe8" since it warrants distinguishing even
in less color availability.

Hope this hints you something.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 05/12/2016 1:45:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Madi-7

Hungary
6 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  10:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo,

thank you very much. It is simpler, and it looks better than all my previous attempts.

Best regards,
Madi
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Madi and visitors to this thread,

OriginLab has published the Color Editor app which can convert a color palette format from binary to ascii,
or or vise versa, or construct a palette or a color increment list, interpolate a color list to increase or reduce
the number of levels:

http://www.originlab.com/fileExchange/details.aspx?fid=317

In addition, OriginLab is considering to provide a tool to view a colored graph as a grey scale image in the
print preview to check how it would look like in a black-and-white printed matter.

We hope people find this tool handy and useful.

Regards,

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 06/15/2016 10:17:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000