The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 RMSE, S, Nonlinear fitting comparison
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

vflope

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  2:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Dear all, sorry by my bad english.

1) I wondering about use of R2, R2adjusted and R2predicted. A lot of people said these estimators can NOT be used for nonlinear regressions. If it was true, why Origin provide them in nonlinear fitting tool?

2) What are the differences among RMSE, Standard Error of the Regression (S or SE) and Reduced Chi-Square?

3) What are the best estimators to compare two or more nonlinear regressions and avoid overfitting? (Assuming R2 is not feasible..)

Thank you very much!

V. Lopes

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 06/06/2016 :  03:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, V. Lopes

Yes, the R^2 is not a efficient quantity in evaluating the nonlinear model. but, some users still want this information...

However, if you want to compare models, I would suggest you use the Rank Models tool (accessible from menu Analysis: Fitting: Rank Models.) We also provide AIC and BIC values in the tool to evaluate the goodness of fit.

RMSE is for Standard Error of the Regression, which is the square root of Reduced Chi-Square.

Echo
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

vflope

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  1:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Echo

Many thanks for your kind answer.

V. Lopes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000