The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problem with XYZ scatter plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

lordymosh

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi, I've been doing a few scatter plots over the last two weeks. I wish to have different symbols for each data point so I have a sheet for each device. I don't have the new version of Origin :/

I then plot an XYZ scatter plot. However, there are always a few points that don't come out correctly. For example in the graph attached, the point I have a red square around has an x value of 11 in the sheet but its showing up on the graph as x < 5. Why is this? I'm been trying to search on google but no luck.

Also is there a way to set the rotation? I have a few scatter plots and want the axes to have the same rotation in all of them.

Edited by - lordymosh on 06/16/2016 10:15:44 AM

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  12:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Which version of Origin are you using?

There is 3D Rotate toolbar to rotate graphs. Also since Origin 9, we support openGL based 3D graph. You can hold R key and interactively rotate the 3D graph. Or click inside the layer frame to select the layer and click the rotate button to rotate graph.

As to data location wrong, maybe it's just because of your prospective, it looks wrong but actually it's correct. Could you double click the data point to open Plot Details dialog. Then go to Drop Lines tab to turn on Z dropline. This way, you can confirm if the data point's x position is 11 or not.

As to different symbol for each data point, if you double click a data point to open Plot Details dialog. On Symbol tab, you can set Symbol color to Incrementing so each symbol in a plot has different color.
Also if you set Symbol Type to 2D (this is new feature in 9.x, i forgot exact version number), you can then check Custom Construction checkbox and set the Shape to be Increment from so each symbol has a different shape.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

lordymosh

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Which version of Origin are you using?

There is 3D Rotate toolbar to rotate graphs. Also since Origin 9, we support openGL based 3D graph. You can hold R key and interactively rotate the 3D graph. Or click inside the layer frame to select the layer and click the rotate button to rotate graph.

As to data location wrong, maybe it's just because of your prospective, it looks wrong but actually it's correct. Could you double click the data point to open Plot Details dialog. Then go to Drop Lines tab to turn on Z dropline. This way, you can confirm if the data point's x position is 11 or not.

As to different symbol for each data point, if you double click a data point to open Plot Details dialog. On Symbol tab, you can set Symbol color to Incrementing so each symbol in a plot has different color.
Also if you set Symbol Type to 2D (this is new feature in 9.x, i forgot exact version number), you can then check Custom Construction checkbox and set the Shape to be Increment from so each symbol has a different shape.

Thanks, Snow

Hi thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm using Origin 8.6. I did the drop line and it is indeed the same as the data in the sheet.

I guess the problem is that I wish to put a dashed cube around the samples with the lowest change for each axis. For example if I decide to select X values < 5 it will include the data point with the square around it even thought its actual x value is about 11.

Edited by - lordymosh on 06/17/2016 09:56:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  4:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi lordymosh,

You can create a small cube frame as a customized trajectory plot in the same 3D graph layer. Please see the figure below.

Regarding to change the shape or color of the data points within the above cube frame, you can use indexing from a separate dataset.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

lordymosh

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  07:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hideo Fujii

Hi lordymosh,

You can create a small cube frame as a customized trajectory plot in the same 3D graph layer. Please see the figure below.

Regarding to change the shape or color of the data points within the above cube frame, you can use indexing from a separate dataset.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Hi Hideo,

thanks for the reply. I'll give this a try. How do I go about adding a small cube frame as a customized trajectory plot?

Also what rotation angles do you use for each axis in your plot and perspective angle? Looks alot nicer than the one I attached.

Edited by - lordymosh on 06/20/2016 07:23:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi lordymosh,

> How do I go about adding a small cube frame as a customized trajectory plot?

1) Enter the XYZ data like following:
    (0, 0, 0) (0, 0, 5) (5, 0, 5) (5, 5, 5) (0, 5, 5) (0, 0, 5) (5, 0, 5) (5, 0, 0)
    (5, 5, 0) (5, 5, 5) (5, 5, 0) (0, 5, 0) (0, 5, 5) (0, 5, 0) (0, 0, 0) (5, 0, 0)

columns, designated as X, Y, and Z.

2) Using the Layer Contents dialog (by double-clicking the layer icon"[1]"), change the plot
type from "A"(auto) to "3D Scatter/Trajectory/Vector", and move the Z dataset to the plot.
This will create the cube frame as the second plot in the layer.

3) Customize the added plot like showing the line, set the symbol size to 0, etc.

> what rotation angles do you use for each axis in your plot and perspective angle?

The angles in my sample was of the system default(azimuth=310, inclination=15.8, roll=0.2),
so nothing special.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 06/20/2016 1:34:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000