The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Data selection for fitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Bagyinka Csaba

Hungary
3 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  6:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 2016 (64 bit) Sr2, b9.3.2.303 (BTW! If you are asking would be nice to make it copy/paste-able in the window)
Operating System:win-10

I have several problems.
First: Why it is not allowed to have different measurements (values) on the same x-values? I do not see any problem fitting same x-values in any function. I have made several fitting programs, so I do know what I am speaking about. There is no need to ignore repeated x values.
Second: Origin ignores not only the repeated x-values but also the x values which are not in increasing or decreasing order (after it has ignored repeated x values). It is also annoying. I.e. if I have x values:
it will only fit from 6-8 values (from 3540 down to 221.25, ignoring also the 1770 x-value, although it is not repeated one). I do not see any problem fitting values that are not ordered, I have made it several times in my program.

Third: This is may be a consequence of the previous problems. When selecting data intervals one can choose x values to be row number or x value. When I am selecting a graph to be fit, it is obvious that I want x-values exactly as it is on the graph. If it has x-vector definied in the graph it should be x-value in the fit as well. But it is not the case, it always defaults to row number. It is also annoying.

Thanks if you answer

Csaba Bagyinka

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  12:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Bagyinka Csaba,

Origin in fact accepts either case of duplicated or non-monotonic X values for fitting.

Are you running English version of Origin on an English operating system? If so, Origin considers
a period(.) as the decimal separator, and consequently a comma(,)-separated strings like "442,5"
or "221,25" are considered as text, and they are treated as missing values in computation.
Please make sure that your decimal separator ("Tools> Options> Numeric Format") is comma
before entering the data. (You can check the value in a cell is recognized as a number
rather than text by seeing the the content is right-adjusted in the cell.)

Hope this is your case.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Bagyinka Csaba

Hungary
3 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  1:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hideo Fujii

Hi Hideo Fujii,

THank you for answer.
quote:

Are you running English version of Origin on an English operating system? If so, Origin considers
a period(.) as the decimal separator, and consequently a comma(,)-separated strings like "442,5"
or "221,25" are considered as text, and they are treated as missing values in computation.

I am running both English and Hungarian versions of the operating system on different computers. Origin is English.

There is no problem with the comma and period (right now, before I had) since on both computers recognizes all the numbers as numbers (they are on the right). If I am making a scatter plot they are also plotted on the right place.

So it is not the source of the problem.

quote:

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  2:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Bagyinka Csaba,

> So it is not the source of the problem.

Hmmm... then, could you please explain how you draw the conclusion - Origin allows neither
duplicated nor non-monotonic X values for fitting - which are both incorrect by telling me the
step-by-step procedure to get the result which led to what you thought? I will try the procedure
to reproduce the problem.

Thank you for your assistance.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Bagyinka Csaba

Hungary
3 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  2:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Hideo Fujii,

I am at a conference right now, so I can answer next week earliest.

Yours,

Csaba Bagyinka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000