The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Candlestick graphs- exclude missing dates in plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

brooke.thackray@gmail.com

10 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  09:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I am trying to create a Candlestick graph (OpenHiLoCloseVolume) that excludes dates that are missing. The objective is to have all of the volume bars contiguous and all of the candlesticks contiguous. There should be no gaps in the plot. This is the standard in the financial industry. I have tried to change the x-axis to categorical in the graph, but no luck.
Below is a sample graph from an OriginLab tutorial, showing the gaps in the output.

I am a Newbie to the forum, please excuse any oversights in protocol.
OriginLab 9.1, Windows 8.1 64

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Brooke

Thanks for bringing this up. We'll try to improve this in later versions.

In the meanwhile, please try the following as a workaround:

1). Use a new column of row numbers as X values instead of date.
2). Open axis dialog, set tick label to be "Text from dataset" and use date column as source.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Our Stock charts currently do not have the option of skipping weekends and holidays.
Your idea of setting your dates as Categorical will work provided you make the column change before plotting and that any weekend or holiday gaps are removed first or hidden.
- which can be done with a Filter by unchecking Hidden or Blank
- using Worksheet : Reduce Rows and deleting rows with Missing Values
OR
- using Worksheet : Worksheet Query to extract a new sheet without Missing Values.
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  3:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just an addendum:
To filter out the data of Saturday or Sunday from rows, you can use weekday (returns 1(Mon) through 7(Sun)) function such as by
weekday(x,3)<6
--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

10 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  3:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your replies, but ultimately I still need the functionality of having the x-axis as a date so that I can label by month, by year etc. Changing the x-axis to categorical takes away this capability. I will wait for OriginLab to enhance their product to allow for only the recorded date values to be plotted and not automatically plot all dates even those without values.
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You should try Zheng's solution. You do not need any additional columns and you don't set your Dates as Categorical. Just set your Date column as Y or Disregard.
Select your Open, High, Low, Close, Volume columns and plot (This will plot against row index).
Double-click the X Axis Tick Labels and set the Display Type to "Text from dataset" and choose your Date column for "Dataset Name".

Using this solution, your Tick Labels will be Dates. If you need a special format for Date, you will need to change the Display format of the Date column. Also, Increment for this graph should be in multiple of 5 (equivalent to one week).

Edited by - greg on 01/28/2014 4:15:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

10 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  9:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For a one-off graph I could follow Zheng's solution. The problem is that some weeks have 3 trading days, some 4, and most 5. In the end I would have to manually manipulate the data in the X-column containing the date values (stored as text). I would run into problems in trying to plot a year's worth of data, demarcated by month, as the months would not have a consistent number of days.

Thx.
Brooke
Go to Top of Page

10 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Was this issue fixed in 2015 version? I have looked and it appears that it was not. Am I correct in saying that I still cannot format the X column as date an have it automatically NOT show missing date values? Thx.
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  11:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We will try to work on this for the next version of Origin, but we may get something working sooner then the next release date for you to try out some alpha version of this new feature.

CP
Go to Top of Page

Harrymon12

Philippines
1 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  05:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For this, I had been using MarketXLS for this and it's great.
It has instructions which can help you.
http://marketxls.com/stock-charts-in-excel/
They also have a live support and a forum to help you with your questions/concerns.
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi All,

Actually, Origin 2016 has a new feature, "Skip Weekend and Holidays in Financial Plot".

Please see:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/ReleaseNotes/New-Axis-scale-type-Discrete-to-support-skipping-weekend-and-holidays-in-financial-plots

Tutorial: http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/OHLCV-Stock-Chart

I hope many people take the advantage of this feature.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 07/11/2016 4:56:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000