The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Set column as categorical in workbook template?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

corei5

18 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  8:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): b9.4.1.354
Operating System: Win 7

Hello,

I have a workbook template that contains a column where an automated calculation is performed based on data from another column. The column with the automated calculation is filled with text results(i.e., the automated calculation produces text names based on data from another column). I would like to plot this column of text names, but I can't because the column is not "Set As Categorical". I can't change the column to "Set As Categorical" because the Recalculate Mode is set to Auto.

If I manually change the recalculate mode to none, then I can manually set the column to categorical (because the "Set As Categorical" option is no longer grayed out when the recalculate mode is set to none). Then I can plot my column of calculated text data with out any issues.

My problem is I don't want to perform these manual steps (i.e., manually change recalculate mode to none, then manually set the "Set As Categorical" option for my text column).

Is there a way to set the column to categorical in my workbook template so I can plot this text column easier? Or is there some other technique to plot my automatically calculated text columns easier?

Thanks

Fred

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 06/06/2017 :  01:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Fred,

Yes, currently, you are not allowed to set the locked column as categorical(ORG-8696-P1).

To make thing more clear, would you please first tell me which operations have been performed and which tools have been involved to get final result column in your case?

And, just as a possible workaround, could you try to set the source column as categorical? Then, the locked result column will be categorical too. I suppose the "Set As Categorical" setting could be inherited to the result in this way.

Thanks,
Shirley
Originlab Technical Service Team

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 06/06/2017 01:46:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

corei5

18 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  12:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Shirley,

My source column ,col(B), is populated with numerical values 9-digits in length.

My calculation column, col(C), is using the following "Before Formula Script" within the "Set Column Values:

col(C) = col(B) & 512 = = 512 ? "On" : "Off";

I'm afraid to set col(B) as categorical since I get a warning that says any non-displayed digits of col(B) will be lost.

Also can I even set a column as categorical in my workbook template? When I save the template, it loses the categorical setting.

Thanks!

Fred
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  3:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Set as Categorical will convert column to Text using the current display text, and that is why.

Looks to me you need to set col(C) as categorical. It is true categorical info is not saved into OTW template files, but you can save the book as Analysis Template and that will preserve categorical settings. When saving as Analysis template, calculated columns will be clear but columns without calculation may need to be manually cleared first.

CP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000