The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Smoothing of 2D dataset
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

tdebnath

Singapore
8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  05:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi everybody,

It is easy to perform smoothing for 1D data (e.g. Absorbance vs Wavelength in only one particular time) in Analysis ->Signal processing -> Smooth or FFT Filter. How can I perform the same for 2D dataset (e.g. Absorbance vs Wavelength in thousands of time)? I found somewhere they told to use 2D FFT Filter (in Signal processing section) to smooth the dataset, however I didn't find that particular one under Signal processing section (I am using Origin 8.5).
Note: My data is not evenly spaced, so I interpolate the 1D data to smooth.

Thanks
Tushar

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 07/04/2017 :  02:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Tushar,

The 2D Smoothing and 2D FFT Filter menu item under Signal Processing section are only available when a Matrix window is activated.

So, you need convert your data to matrix firstly if you are have them in XYZ format.
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/XYZGridding-Dialog

Then, you can perform 2D smoothing or 2D FFT Filter on your data.

Thanks,
Shirley
OriginLab

Originlab Technical Service Team
Go to Top of Page

tdebnath

Singapore
8 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  02:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Shirley,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. However while performing 2D smoothing, as you suggested, I found only default setting for 2D smoothing (i.e. I can not customise 2D smoothing while for 1D smoothing one can do customisation e.g. 5 point, 10 point smoothing etc.). Is there any customisation option?

The major problem I faced while converting my original data to matrix (i.e. before perform 2D smoothing), I found the programme changes my X- and Y- axis values to some arbitary values. For example, my original data have X- values form 335 to 465 unit and Y- values from -500 to 3500 unit, however after converting to matrix, it reads X- values from 0 to 1000 unit and Y-values from 0 to 800 unit. Please suggest how to get rid of this serious problem.

Thanks,
Tushar
Go to Top of Page

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 07/07/2017 :  06:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Tushar,

Yes, there isn't any option to customize the 2D Smoothing. You can read this page to learn the default settings of this dialog, http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/MSmooth-Algorithm

If you are converting XYZ data to matrix, I don't think the XY values will be changed. Actually, by default, matrix sheet won't show the actual XY values(but the index numbers), you need select View: Show X/Y menu to show them.

If still problem, please send us the OPJ file via tech@originlab.com

Thanks,
Shirley

Originlab Technical Service Team
Go to Top of Page

tdebnath

Singapore
8 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  11:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I found the matrix sheet shows the index number (pixel) of XY, however on selecting View: Show X/Y on the matrix sheet does not still convert them to original XY values.

I am sorry, at the moment, I can not share my data to you (confidential data). I am not sure without the OPJ file you can help me or not.

Thanks,
Tushar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000