The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 ternary and 3D
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

curioz

Italy
Posted - 12/21/2004 :  06:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin):6.1
Operating System: windows 2000
How can I plot a ternary and 3D graph ? (not only tenary, not only 3D). It is useful for plotting ternary phase diagrams

Mike

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi curioz,

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but see if this helps you: http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3203

Mike
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

curioz

Italy
Posted - 12/22/2004 :  04:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you.
Really my problem is another. I need to plot a 3D graph, with a normal z, unchanged, but instead of having X and Y I want a ternary, a triangle. It's a bit difficult to explain, anyway I think it cannot be done by Origin
Go to Top of Page

fzimnoch

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  2:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Curioz,

A 4D ternary plot is a feature requested for Origin. It would look like a standard ternary plot but would have an additional vertical axis for a fourth variable to be dsipalyed as a surface.

Is this what you want?

Fred, Tech Support
Go to Top of Page

carsten

Switzerland
78 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  03:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Curioz,

a certain "4D" plot is already possible: in addition to the standard ternary plot you can "dye" your data choosing symbol color: color mapping. This color mapping is assigned to a specific column (i.e temperature values).
This feature gives you the opportunity to add a fourth dimension to the ternary plot.

Carsten
Go to Top of Page

fzimnoch

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  10:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Curioz:

You can control Symbol Size, Symbol Fill Color, Symbol Shape, Symbol Interior so as to add additional “dimensions” to your plot.
In Plot Details dialog box you can add a specific worksheet column with values to control the amount of a property such as Symbol Size, Symbol Fill Color, Symbol Shape, Symbol Interior. So in the Plot Details dialog box the Symbol Size pull down, the Indexing, Direct RGB and Color Mapping under Symbol Color, along with Shape and Interior pull downs when Show Constructions is checked allow the user to select a worksheet column to control the property. These properties can add physically significant information to the graphical presentation of data.

Fred, Tech Support
Go to Top of Page

CTucker

USA
Posted - 08/10/2007 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Have there been any further developments in this area?

It would be a hugely beneficial tool if I could graph solubility data for ternary solvent mixtures (with concentration on a z-axis), which would result in a 4D ternary plot (data plotted in a trigonal prism).

The work-around of using variable-size/shape/color points on a traditional ternary plot is confusing due to the obscuring of data caused by overlapping points.

Thanks for any help/advice you could provide.
Go to Top of Page

UKrieger

Switzerland
16 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I just want to take the opportunity to strongly support the urge of CTucker for a further development of the ternary plot to a 4D ternary plot.

It would be a unique property of Origin of help for users of different communities.

quote:

Have there been any further developments in this area?

It would be a hugely beneficial tool if I could graph solubility data for ternary solvent mixtures (with concentration on a z-axis), which would result in a 4D ternary plot (data plotted in a trigonal prism).

The work-around of using variable-size/shape/color points on a traditional ternary plot is confusing due to the obscuring of data caused by overlapping points.

Thanks for any help/advice you could provide.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000