The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 from 2D data into 3D extrusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

KCl34

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  4:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Thanks for the support to this question. Old rusted user of Origin. Started using it again few months ago. I missed it so much.

I have a question: I have data for a chart in 2D; I would like to use the data to generate a 3D chart by a rotation extrusion (360)using one point of the X-axis as the center for the extrusion.

Ideas?

Emanuele cauda

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2017 :  1:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Emanuele cauda,

When y=f(x), you can take x as the radius for (X, Y), and y as Z.
So, the following script calculate (X,Y,Z):
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
range rr=col(1);  //original X
nr=rr.getSize();  //number of rows
kk=1;             //output counter
for(ii=1; ii<=nr; ii++) {  //take X
  for(angle=0; angle<=360; angle++) {
    col(3)[kk]=col(1)[ii]*cos(radians(angle));    //X in 3D
    col(4)[kk]=col(1)[ii]*sin(radians(angle));    //Y in 3D
    col(6)[kk]=col(1)[ii];   //Radius
    col(5)[kk]=col(2)(col(1)[ii]);                //Z in 3D
    kk=kk+1;
  }
}
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You see the result graphs as follows:

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 10/26/2017 2:21:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

yuki_wu

896 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  03:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Emanuele cauda,

Besides the way Hideo introduced, we can also take advantage of the matrix and parametric surface.

For example, I have an XY plot with 50 pairs of data points:

1. New a matrix book, select Matrix: Set Dimension/Labels from menu

2. Select Matrix: Set Value… from menu
Cell(i,j) = ra[j]
Before Formula Script: range ra=[Book1]Sheet1!col(B)

3. Add the second matrix object in the matrix sheet, select the second matrix object and then select Matrix: Set Value…
Cell(i,j) = y

4. Add the third matrix object in the matrix sheet, select the third matrix object and then select Matrix: Set Value…
Cell(i,j) = rx[j]
Before Formula Script: range rx=[Book1]Sheet1!col(A)

5. Add the fourth matrix object in the matrix sheet, select the fourth matrix object and then select Matrix: Set Value…
Cell(i,j) = Mat(1)*cos(Mat(2))

6. Add the fifth matrix object in the matrix sheet, select the fifth matrix object and then select Matrix: Set Value…
Cell(i,j) = Mat(1)*sin(Mat(2))

7. Select the fifth matrix, and plot a 3D surface

8. Double click the surface to open Plot Detail dialog, go to Surface tab, check Parametric Surface checkbox, then select Mat(3) in X Matrix and Mat(4) in Y Matrix.

9. Click the Rescale button

If you are interested, you can download the OPJ and play with it:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/phr7k6s29mn3nix/AACBuvXHkE1G-KZznzzjSvzZa/FilesToUsers?dl=0&preview=20171027-3D+Rotate+Surface.opj

Regards,
Yuki
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

KCl34

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  4:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yuki, Hideo,
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I am going to try them up in the next few days and will let you know.

Emanuele cauda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000