The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Appending Worksheet: How define a selection ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Snapshot83

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  11:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Does anybody know if it is possible create a default operation in order to select multiple colomuns using the "Appending worksheet" function ?
I have different sheets containing 5 coloumns, but I wanna keep, from all of them, just the 4th and 5th coloumn (i.e. D and E). I would like choice such coloumns by menu, but I am unable to do that, since I can select or only D or only E coluomn, but not both.
The only way I can do this it seems just selecting "Custom columns" and then, select manually all the columns which I need (in this case D and E). There is a shortcut I can use ? It might be so useful, since I have to use this functions many times for my data anaysis. I hope I explained it clearly (but I am not sure). Anyway, thanks in advance.

Origin 2017 64b

arstern

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  4:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Have you tried using Batch Processing? You can use this feature if you plan on consistently append column D and E. Also you mentioned using append worksheet? From reading your description of what you want to do it seems that Copy Column would work better? Either way you can use Batch Processing with Copy Column or Append Worksheet.

Tutorials on Batch Processing:
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/Batch-Processing

Example:
1. Highlight column D and E
2. Select Worksheet -> Copy Columns to -> Open Dialog
Book.

3. Make sure to set Recalculate to Auto. For Destination Columns select New Sheet. Select Ok. A new sheet (Sheet 2) should be created where colmn D and E are copied.

4. With the workbook activated, Select File -> Select Save Workbook As Analysis Template. Save your analysis template.

5. Now you are ready for batch processing.
a. Select The Batch Processing Icon shown by the Arrow. With the Batch Processing dialog box open, you have a couple ways to customize.
b. In this example I load the analysis template that I saved from the previous step.
c. I select the file I want to import and apply the analysis to within File List.
d. Under Delete Intermediate Workbook if you have this selected then only the result sheet (Column D and E) will be opened in the project. If you have it unselected then the original data and the new analysis sheet with copied column D and E will open together in the project.

Hope this helps,
Aviel
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Snapshot83

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  03:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, I try to explain better my issue.

I have a serie of folders, each of these contains 10 worksheets. I need to copy columns D and E of all of these sheets in a new worksheet. So, I kindly ask the easiest way to do that.

Thanks for Your help.
Go to Top of Page

Snapshot83

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  05:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Any other suggestions ?
Go to Top of Page

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

In the Append Worksheet dialog, there's an option "Common columns" other than "Custom columns" for selecting specified columns, which allows you select common columns in each worksheet. Have you tried that? Hope that helps.

Yiming
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000