The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to plot matrix on arbitrary plane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

LorenzoM

Italy
1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  07:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Dear all, I am trying to plot a matrix on an arbitrary plane on 3D vector graph.

You can see the problem in the image. I have a vector plot and I created a matrix with the image I need to overlap. Then, I plot 3D surface and flattened the surface to get the image. Finally, I changed color to gray scale. I rescale the matrix columns and rows to fit the scale of the vector plot. It works very good.
However, now I need to do the same procedure on a different plane but I do not know how to do since Origin always plot on XY plane since values are always on Z axis.

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 11/20/2017 :  03:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear LorenzoM,

Sorry, just as the matrix data format shows, the Z values change based on different X and Y coordinates, then when you plot the matrix into a three-dimensional coordinate, you are not allowed to flat the 3D surface to YZ/ZX plane.

Please let me know if any problem.

Thanks,
Shirley
OriginLab

Originlab Technical Service Team

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 11/20/2017 03:26:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  04:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Currently, Origin assumes matrix to contain Z values with XY coordinates.

What you want is to allow Origin can plot a matrix as

X values but on YZ coordinates.
Y values but on ZX coordinates.

And then to flatten them similar to Z, correct? We can easily add this as a new feature next version, and let you get a beta version to test on short order.

CP

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000