The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to draw bit-error-rate (BER) plot ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jinserk

S. Korea
Posted - 05/31/2005 :  11:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5 SR5
Operating System: Win XP

I want to draw the bit-error-rate (BER) plot as the above one, double log scale in y-axis.
As you know, the above plot shows unequal space between the order increment, so we can see that it's different from the plain log scale graph.

I have tried to do that, using LabTalk or Origin C, but failed.
Please make such template or one of the scale to draw that plot, because this plot is very important and common in the field of data transmission world.

Using that scale, the plot can be fitted to a linear straight line. If we have some trouble in the transmission system, the BER plot will get away from the straight line, so we can easily know whether the system has a problem or not.

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have put in a feature request item for such a plot.

I see that in MATLAB they make the plot with evenly spaced major axis tick marks for the log scale, but plot the theoretical curve not as a straight line, such as in the figure below.

So if the expression/equation for the theoretical curve is known, one could use a standard semi-log scale and show the theoretical curve as a curved line to see if the data deviates from it?

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

mhargis

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  12:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The "straight line" plot comes from fitting the data to the inverse complementary error function, which is not a built in function for my Origin 6.1 (yes, I know, company won't upgrade)
Go to Top of Page

jinserk

S. Korea
Posted - 06/06/2005 :  11:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This plot can be achieved using the following equation:

BER = 0.5 * erfc ( x / sqrt(2) )

if BER = 10^-9, x is about 6. At first we should obtain 'x' according to each BER. If we want to get the double-log plot with appropriate y-scale of BER, we have to plot using 'x' in reversed y-axis. then we can put the y-tick mark and label as the BER value at each corresponding 'x' value.

I expect that this plot will be available ASAP. :)

Edited by - jinserk on 06/07/2005 01:26:58 AM

Edited by - jinserk on 06/07/2005 01:53:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  01:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

Yes, we will add this double-log scale to Origin 8.0

CP

Go to Top of Page

thw@LGSinnovations.com

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  5:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cpyang

quote:

Yes, we will add this double-log scale to Origin 8.0

CP

OK, I see that Origin now has the ERFC function. However, I don't see any documentation or examples of how to create this kind of plot. Does this exist anywhere? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

bcolas

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  6:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I am trying to create the same BER Plot using Origin. I am using the current ORIGINPro 2016 version.
I am trying to see if this was resolved or implemented in the version I am using? Any help would do.

Many thanks.

||BC||
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000