The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 fitting convoluted function
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

karasek

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 7SR1
Operating System:Windoes XP

Does anybody know how to perform in Origin fitting of convolution of two user defined function: gaussian A*exp(-((x-xc)/wG)^2) and Lorentz 1/Pi*wL/(wL^2+(x-xc)^2). The independent variable is x, the dependent is y and A, wL, wG, xc are the parameters to be fitted. I know that convolution is defined by the following equation:

f(x)=Integral[f1(x-t)*f2(t)dt]
But I do not know how to do a convolution in Origin and then fitting convoluted function to my data

I will be very grateful for help
Thank you very much

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  1:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

If you are looking only for a line shape/peak function that is a convolution of the gaussian and lorentzian functions, try the Voigt function in the Peak Functions category in NLSF.

If you want a general mechanism to perform convolution while fitting, that will involve programming by calling convolution function during fitting.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

karasek

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  08:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

thanks for yor reply Easwar

I know that Voigt function is implemented in Origin but I need
a general mechanism to perform convolution while fitting because I want to define my own lorentzian and gaussian. Can you tell me how to do this, I mean how this program should looks like. I am not so good at programming. How to involve programming by calling convolution function during fitting.

Thanky very much
Go to Top of Page

Kitkit Zhang

China
Posted - 10/18/2005 :  05:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

We have found a solution to your problem. Please send a mail to tech@originlab.com , so that we can send the FDF file to you.

Edited by - Kitkit Zhang on 10/18/2005 06:09:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

CHelixN

Denmark
Posted - 11/08/2005 :  10:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I am performing multipeak fitting. The options now are Gaussian (G) or Lorentzian (L). I would like to combine these two as A*G+(1-A)*L where A is a fitting parameter being the fraction of Gaussian character and A is the same for all peaks. Please let me know how I can do this. Also it would be nice if one could do multi Voigt peak fitting!

Cheers.
Helix
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If G and L share the same center (xc) and offset (y0) then Origin's PsdVoigt1 or PsdVoigt2 peak function might work. Otherwise you'll need to define your own function as described in the Origin Reference. In either case you can fit multiple peaks using replicas.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000