The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Survival statistic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

IrinaMosh

Germany
Posted - 10/20/2005 :  09:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7,5
Operating System:Win

Hi,
I would like to ask someone who ever worked with Survival statistics, how exactly to fill in tables for Kaplan-Meyers analysis. I have three groups of animals and I need three graphs. I have actually only survival time and number of animals , so two colomn tables for each group. Zensor I guess is a number of animals. What I found in tutorial didn#t work in my case.
Would be grateful for your kind advice.
Ina

Yerika

USA
Posted - 10/20/2005 :  3:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's my understanding that Kaplan-Meyer graphs have time on the x-axis and percentage of the surviving population on the y axis.

If you have a number of animals, figure out the percentage of survivors in a new column by going to the Column menu, and choosing "Set Column Values." In the dialog box, type in the column name where you are keeping number of animals, divided by the maximum number of animals, for example: col(b)/max (assuming your y data is in column b)

Then highlight the percentage column and choose the type of graph you want from the Plot menu. You can repeat this process for each of the sets of data you have, and create separate graphs, or graph each set of data in one graph using the layer tool.

If you need more information or I have misunderstood your question, please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

azhu

China
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  11:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, IrinaMosh,

In Kaphan-Meier, an observation having a censored time value represents some outcome other than failure such as prematurely leaving the study due to chance factors or surviving beyond the completion of the study.

So looks like that your data should be analyzed by Life Table Ananlysis.

Usually life table data are as following. Please note that usually time interval in life table analysis are the same.
time censor_num dead_num
0 10 1
1 15 1
2 6 2
3 8 1
4 12 6
5 7 8

quote:

Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7,5
Operating System:Win

Hi,
I would like to ask someone who ever worked with Survival statistics, how exactly to fill in tables for Kaplan-Meyers analysis. I have three groups of animals and I need three graphs. I have actually only survival time and number of animals , so two colomn tables for each group. Zensor I guess is a number of animals. What I found in tutorial didn#t work in my case.
Would be grateful for your kind advice.
Ina

Edited by - azhu on 10/20/2005 11:12:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

IrinaMosh

Germany
Posted - 10/21/2005 :  05:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[quote]
Hi, Azhu
I guess your advise is up to point.
Even when it sounds stupid for you, what is this magic censor number? I really have no idea. How to calculate it or what does it mean.
time censor_num dead_num
0 10 1
1 15 1
2 6 2
3 8 1
4 12 6
5 7 8

Thank you in advance
Ina

Go to Top of Page

IrinaMosh

Germany
Posted - 10/21/2005 :  05:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Yerika,

Thank you for your advice. The point only is that I would like to skip calulations of percentage. I guess that with Origin is possible to avoid this. But I don't know how. This is my trouble.
Ina

Go to Top of Page

azhu

China
4 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  10:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Ina,

Would you like to show me some of your data so that I can have more idea about it.

Go to Top of Page

IrinaMosh

Germany
Posted - 10/25/2005 :  04:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Azhu,

E.g. I had two groups of animals:
1 group 8 survived after OP, I applied medicine then:
Hours Number of dead
14 1
17 2
23 1
36 1
60 1
2 group 13 survived and then with drug
Hours Number of dead
14 2
17 1
23 1
28 3
36 1
60 1

I need to compare groups. I guess time intervals I should unify, but what is zensor here?

Grateful in advance
Ina
Go to Top of Page

azhu

China
4 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  06:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Ina,

For example, if we examine a group of living subjects, we know that each one is alive today, but we do not know their future date of death. we call them right censored values.

I assume that you stopped examining after 60 hours. Then in Group1, 2 is still alive when you stopped examining, we can call the 2 values as censored values.

To do Kaphan-Meier analysis, you data should be written as following

Group1
0-censored, 1-dead(failure)
14 1
17 1
17 1
23 1
36 1
60 1
60 0
60 0

Group2
0-censored, 1-dead(failure)
14 1
14 1
17 1
23 1
28 1
28 1
28 1
36 1
60 1
60 0
60 0
60 0
60 0

To do comparison, we need to plot the 2 survival function in a graph
1. Do Kaphan-Meier analysis to plot survival plt respectively.
2. Select Edit: Merge All Graph Windows to merger the 2 survival plot in a graph.(Make sure that in the merger graph dialog we select 1 row and 1 column)

According to your data in survival plot, we can roughly conclude that survival status in group 2 is better.

Edited by - azhu on 10/25/2005 07:13:52 AM

Edited by - azhu on 10/25/2005 07:21:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000