The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 adding data in box charts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

shrivastava

Albania
Posted - 01/15/2006 :  2:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version : 7
Operating System: Windows Xp

Hi

I plot a box chart in Origin with the defalult box and whisker configurations. Could someone please tell me how I can show a single selected data point for each box on the box chart?

I am trying to show a range of data through the box plot. But I also need to show where data from say a single experiment falls on the box chart in relation to the range represented by the box and whiskers!!

I am aware of the box+data option on the plot details dialog box, but that shows all data points, for each box, whereas I want to show a single selected point on each box plot.

Hope this is clear.

Please respond asap.

thanks
manish

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi manish,

Though might not be the simplest way, you can try the following way to make a 2-layer graph with your box chart and a scatter graph of the specific points of the groups:

1) Create a new worksheet (say with A(X) and B(Y), and put row#'s in A, and points' data you want to plot in B(Y).
2) Create a scatter graph from this worksheet.
3) Verify the X and Y scale ranges of your box chart. (by double-clicking its axis).
4) Set the scale range of the scatter graph same to the box chart's.
5) Merge the box chart and the scatter graph into a graph in 1-by-1 arrangement. (Edit:Merge All Graph Windows menu)
6) Remove unnecessaey axis labels, etc.

You can get a 2-layer graph like below:

Hope this solves your situation.

--Hideo
OriginLab

P.S. My colleague has suggested the following method which can avoid the merging and adjusting operations:

1> add a linked right-y layer to original box plot layer
This then takes care of x being same scale because it is linked
2> go to layer 2 properties and link the Y 1 to 1 with Y of layer 1 - that will then take care of y being same
3> then move in the data you want to plot and set symbol type etc

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 01/16/2006 4:26:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000