The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Remove Duplicated Rows based on Multiple Columns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

AKazak

Russia
1205 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  11:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
OriginPro 2019b (64-bit)

Operating System: W7 Pro x64 SP1

Greetings!

How do I remove duplicated rows based on multiple columns?

Origin provides at least three methods to remove the duplicated data, which are:
1) "Worksheet> Remove/Combine Duplicated Rows" menu (wdeldup), and
2) "Analysis> Data Manipulation> Reduce Duplicated X Data" menu (reducedup)
3) "Unique(<column>)" command.

However, all listed above scan through or search for duplicates in one single column.

How do I stack multiple columns to feed to one of the listed commands?

Thank you.

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

This is a known issue. We improved Remove/Combine Duplicated Rows tool in Origin 2020b to support multiple columns as reference. Just let you know the new version will release shortly. Thank you.

James
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1205 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  05:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by YimingChen

Hi,

This is a known issue. We improved Remove/Combine Duplicated Rows tool in Origin 2020b to support multiple columns as reference. Just let you know the new version will release shortly. Thank you.

James

Dear James,

Great news!
What is a viable workaround for the 2019b?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

One workaround would be to create a new column, fill with the combined text from all reference columns (see below as an example), then run the tool referencing on that column.

James
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1205 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  04:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That seems to be a promising workaround!
My columns contain real numbers, rather than text.
How do I combine two numeric values similar to the text?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

nick_n

Finland
125 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  04:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Privet,
The same way but with SPACE:
A$+" "+B$.
Regards,

Nikolay
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1205 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2020 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nick_n

Privet,
The same way but with SPACE:
A$+" "+B$.
Regards,

Nikolay

Nikolay, spasibo very much!

Where can I read more about $-string modifiers?
I skimmed over the help, but could not find a comprehensive explanation of $'s role.
Go to Top of Page

nick_n

Finland
125 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2020 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
$ is identifier of string variable. Thus, look: "LabTalk, Data Types and Variables, String":
https://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/guide/Data-Types-and-vars#String
Udachi,

Nikolay
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1205 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2020 :  2:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nick_n

$ is identifier of string variable. Thus, look: "LabTalk, Data Types and Variables, String":
https://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/guide/Data-Types-and-vars#String
Udachi,

Nikolay

Thanks a lot!
The original questions seems to be answered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000