The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Worksheet comments as column values
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  9:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 2018b
Operating System: Windows 10

Hello,

I was wondering whether it was possible to populate a column with worksheet comments.

If I try %(1,@WMn)=; in a script window, the nth comment line is displayed; however, writing %(1,@WM) under "Set column values" will not fill each cell with its corresponding worksheet comment.

Is this achievable? How?

Thank you.

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  9:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can access the worksheet comments by using the following LT
layer.comments$

So you just need to write code in Before Formula script to process it. Using Python, it will be very simple, in the current beta version of Origin, then add the following Python function in labtalk.py in UFF,

def wcm(a)->list:
    return a.splitlines()

Then in the column formula,

py.wcm(layer.comments$)

CP
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2020 :  08:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ok, let me try to understand. Please know I have never used Python before, so excuse my ignorance.

Do I forcefully need Origin last beta version? Although you stated this, Origin help reads that the software allows Python since version 2015 (please see here: https://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/guide/work-with-python)

What I did is:

1. Create and save a function called WksComments.py in UFF with the code you provided.
2. Create a new column and select "Set column values"
3. Under "Before Formula scripts":
run -pyf "WksComments.py"
(as advised here: https://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/ref/Run-cmd#-pyf.3B_Execute_Python_File)

4. Formula:
py.wcm(layer.comments$)

An error shows:
quote:
Mismatch double quote: py.wcm(layer.comments$)
Failed to create operation for Book1_A@7 due to error in Set Column Value scripts

Is this because of version incompatibility or am I misunderstanding what you said? If it is the latter, I am afraid I will need a "step by step for dummies" explanation.

Apparently, looking into it a bit further, I might need to install Python externally. It is needed to install packages (although I don't know what that means), so this might be extrapolated to my situation.

Thanks,

Claire.
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2020 :  09:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Python support was introduced long ago but to be able to use in column formula will need new version, which is not released yet, so best if you can request a beta version to try this.

There is no need to install Python, with Origin 2021, it will just work like I described.

See

https://www.originlab.com/doc/python/originpro

and about column formula:

https://www.originlab.com/doc/python/originpro/Calling-Python-Functions-from-LabTalk-and-Column-Formula

To use Python in your version is very hard, as there is no simple way to pass arguments and get returns.

LabTalk also has function and what you need to do can also be done, see

https://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/guide/Functions

CP
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2020 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Initially, I had imported the data to paste filename into worksheet comments to include them in a cell value, somehow. Since my version doesn't allow this, I had to think of a Labtalk workaround:

- Paste filename into column comments, instead, when importing.
- Create a column whose cell values are the adjacent column comment.
- Delete all column comments.
- Delete filename from all rows except the first.

The last 2 steps are for further convenience, since I need to merge worksheets afterwards.

dlgfile multi:=1 group:=*.txt;
impasc fname$
Options.FirstMode:=0	//Import first dataset in workbook: replace existing worksheet
Options.Mode:=4 	//Import 2nd to nth workbook to new sheets       
Options.Sparklines:=2 	//Sparklines if there are over 50 data cells	
Options.Headers.CountHeaderLines:=1	//Confirm there are headers in the source data sets
Options.Headers.MainHeaderLines:=0	//Specify number of headers
Options.Headers.SubHeaderLines:=1	//Specify number of subheaders
Options.Headers.LongName:=1	//Set 1st subheader as long name
Options.Names.AutoNames:=0	//Do not rename workbooks automatically
Options.Names.FNameToColComm:=1	//Use file names in column comments  
Options.Names.FNameToSht:=1	//Use file names to rename worksheets
Options.Names.FNameToBk:=0 //Do not fill comments with file names 
Options.Names.FPathToComm:=0	//Do not fill comments with file path
Options.FileStruct.NumSep:=1	//Decimals are after a dot (90.25). For 90,25 write 1 instead
Options.FileStruct.Delimiter:=3;

doc -ef LW { //For all worksheets in folder

wks.col=1; //Activate Column 1
	wks.insert(Smp); //Insert new column before Column 1
	col(A)[L]$ = "Sample"; //New column Long Name
	csetvalue col:=col(A) formula:="FnameFromCol$" s:="string FnameFromCol$ = Col(B)[C]$" r:=none; //Set adjacent column's comments as new column's cell values
	wks.deleteRows(2,300); //Delete all cell values except first one //Is there any way to specify rows 2 to end? Could not find any. wks.nrows does not allow to set less than 15.

for (int nn = 2; nn <= wks.ncols; nn++) //For second column onwards
	{ 

wcol(nn)[C]$=""; //Delete comments (undo impasc Options.Names.FNameToColComm:=1)

}

}

And that did the trick. A bit more complicated that I would have wanted, but it seems to work.

Thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000