The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 2nd project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 09/30/2020 :  12:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 2020 (64-bit)
9.7.0.185 (Academic)

Operating System: Win10

When I try to open second project without closing the first one, in majority of cases (fortunately not always!) it will be the read-only project. Why there is this limitation, or how to remove it?

一击爆裂陈子豪

Taiwan
41 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  12:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It is read-only because someone already has it opened somewhere else at this moment.
It can even be yourself that has it opened in a different Origin session.
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/04/2020 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I KNOW that this is because I open 2nd project without closing the 1st one. My question is: what is the purpose of this limitation? It is a real nuisance. Since over 25 years in Windows we have the possibility of opening and working on many projects simultaneously, why not in Origin?! Is it possible somehow to switch off this limitation?
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2020 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You mean same project, not 2nd project right?
You open project A, then you double-click project A "again" into a 2nd instance of Origin, correct?

I just tried Excel, it simply does not allow this at all. When open the same file on a second instance of Excel, the 1st instance it will automatically close that file.

CP
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/05/2020 :  06:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No, I want to open the second project without closing the 1st one.
It's usual in Windows: you may open the new window without closing all the other ones, right? In Origin this is, for some reasons, forbidden. If you work on some project and want to open other one (existing or a new one) you have to close the previous project (i.e. to close Origin) and only then to open the other one.
I must say that sometimes opening the 2nd project turns out possible, I don't know why.
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/05/2020 :  08:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
To be precise: one CAN open the 2nd project, but only in READ ONLY mode.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  09:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

We couldn't reproduce it.

Could you give steps of how you open Origin projects?
1. Launch one instance of Origin.
2. Choose File: Open to open one project file.
3. Launch another instance of Origin.
4. Choose File: Open to open a 2nd project?

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/06/2020 :  03:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,
No, usually I click an icon corresponding to some existing project, work on it, and then (without closing it) I click another icon, corresponding to another project. Then(not always) it opens with the message that the second project is opened in the READ ONLY mode.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2020 :  09:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Do you have issue double clicking opju sometimes?

There is a known issue of double clicking project to launch Origin on some PCs.
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Quick-Help/double-click-open-failed

It actually opens a hidden instance of Origin but stuck at launching the project in it. When you double click again, since it detect the origin, it launches the project.

It's possible that the project you double clicked was stuck in the process so it shows as read-only.

I would recommend you launch Origin first and then open project in it.

Thanks, Snow

So it's
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/06/2020 :  2:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This computer is used only by me, so I don't understand the suggestion that "someone already has it opened somewhere else at this moment". This "somebody" is ME, I simply would like to work on other project without closing the previous one. Here is the error message: https://my.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/OriginMessage.jpg[/img]

Why this is not permitted? And why sometimes it is?
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/06/2020 :  2:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Him Snowli,
No, I never observed any problem with the double click.

Eryk
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2020 :  2:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Maybe you can capture a video so we can understand this better? There should not be problem to double-click a second OPJU file to open it normally.

CP
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/06/2020 :  2:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"There should not be problem to double-click a second OPJU file to open it normally."
Thank you for your suggestion, but I do just this!
And sometimes this works but in the majority of cases I get the the message https://my.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/OriginMessage.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

一击爆裂陈子豪

Taiwan
41 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2020 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Would the files be in a restricted folder by any chance?

Edited by - 一击爆裂陈子豪 on 10/06/2020 4:02:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/07/2020 :  04:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
What you mean by "restricted folder"? This concerns any projects, from any folders.

Eryk
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Eryk,

We cannot reproduce the problem. For example, I double-clicked and opened 6 different projects in 6 Origin sessions on my Win10 PC with Origin version 2020, and there was no such error.

As you mentioned that this does not happen always, perhaps there is some other background process running on your PC that locks the file temporarily?

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/07/2020 :  07:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The text of the message proves that such a behavior of the Origin is intentional, don't you think so?

Eryk
Go to Top of Page

一击爆裂陈子豪

Taiwan
41 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  09:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Maybe you can try restarting your computer ...
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  09:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Eryk,

I can assure you there is no such intentional message we have placed into Origin.

The only time I see it is when I try open a project that is in a restricted folder to which Origin does not have write privilege, such as say opening a file that is in the samples folder under the Origin installation area, which is typically
C:\Program Files\OriginLab\Origin2020b\Samples...

The other possibility is the file is somehow locked by another process. I suggest you check with your IT if there is some background process that is locking the file.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2020 :  1:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,
Could you open your Task Manager and have Processes tab active.
Then try double click 1st project.
Check how many instances of Origin in Task Manager.

Then double click 2nd project to reproduce the issue.

Also, could you also check with 1st project open.
If you start a new instance Origin first. Then choose File: Open menu to open the 2nd project, will there be such issue?

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Piasecki

Poland
Posted - 10/09/2020 :  12:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Snow.
"Could you open your Task Manager and have Processes tab active.
Then try double click 1st project.
Check how many instances of Origin in Task Manager."

Just 1.

Then double click 2nd project to reproduce the issue.

2, however there are no any messages

Also, could you also check with 1st project open.
If you start a new instance Origin first. Then choose File: Open menu to open the 2nd project, will there be such issue?
No, no messages.

I have to check it when I will get the message,

However, if I click 2nd time the project which is already open, then I get the message.

I doubt whether the effect was observed in such a case only, but such an action would be perhaps sometimes useful, e.g. when you want to work simultaneously on 2 figs placed in 2 folders of one project.
Is it, for some reasons, forbidden?

Cheers
Eryk

Edited by - Piasecki on 10/12/2020 04:12:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  09:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Eryk,

So the issue only exists when you open same project the 2nd time. It's by design then. You can't edit same project in two Origin sessions. This is true for many applications.

We have Project Explorer which is docked on left side of origin so u can easily switch folders in same project and work on them.

We supported folder and paste to another Origin session since Origin 2019b. You can copy a folder to another Origin session, after working, paste back if needed.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000