The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Stacked lines with offset defined by a parameter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

lottis

4 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  02:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I am trying to plot curves of one sample recorded at different temperatures. I would like to plot them as stacked lines by Y offset but so that the offset is defined as the temperature of the measurement.
How could I do this? I've tried setting the temperature as a parameter in the workbook but don't know how to refer to that in the stack settings.
Thanks in advance!

yuki_wu

896 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  03:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You can double click on the graph to open the Plot Details dialog after creating graph:
1. Select Layer in the left panel
2. Go to Stack tab and select Constants for Offset
3. Enter the number you desired
4. Click OK button

Regards, Yuki
Go to Top of Page

lottis

4 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  03:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Thanks, but I was wondering if there is a way to do it automatic, so that I do not need to do it for each curve separately. So e.g. set a comment or user parameter on the workbook as offset automatically.
Go to Top of Page

yuki_wu

896 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  03:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I am sorry that Origin doesn't support this so far.

Regards, Yuki
Go to Top of Page

lottis

4 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  03:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ok, thanks anyway for your help! :)
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  09:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I jiraed it in ORG-23226 and will check with developers if we can implement it in the future.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  02:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi lottis,

Would you mind to send us a sample project to show how the data is organized?

You can click the "Send File to Tech support" on the top right corner link text to send the file.

As to the temperature value on each user parameter label row,
is it
an exact real value, like 40 Celsius degree, 50 degree etc.
or
a base difference value, like 1, 2 etc. say 2nd plot is 1 degree larger than the 1st plot etc.

And does the 1st plot has the offset value?

PS1, is the plot Y data also a kind of temperature data, or else? (i.e. do they have same unit as the offset?)

PS2, have you ever tried the "waterfall" plot?

You can select Plot menu - 3D - Waterfall to create a plot.

By default it should be able to use the user parameter on the worksheet as the z offset, if not, you can still open Plot Details dialog, layer level, Waterfall tab, set the Z Value Source combo to that label row.

It provides a kind of "stack" layout lines.

Go to Top of Page

lottis

4 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  06:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi!

Thanks for the responses! I'll send the project to you.

In my case I have X-ray diffraction data that has been collected at different temperature points. So, the actual data is intensity vs q, and the additional parameter is the temperature. However, since the intensity is arbitrary, its values do not matter. The most important thing is to see where the peaks are on x axis, and roughly the intensity of the peak that is clear just by looking at the curve. That's why a 2D curve is better as from that it is more clear to the viewer towards which directions the peaks are shifted.

In my case, the temperatures have exact real values. 1st offset in my case would be at 25 degC, so not at zero, if you meant that.

Now I have found a way how to plot them as 3D Waterfall and by rotating the axes so that it looks like 2D graph with T in y-axis and q as x-axis. However, when it is rotated, the graph is a little bit tilted somehow and the temperatures do not match the curves exactly, so I needed to adjust the temperature axis by a random value so that the curves are in right position on that curve.
Also rotating the graph was a little tricky to get it to work properly, and I was thinking that plotting it as a simple 2D offset curve would be simple.

Best
Lotta
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000