The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Errors in Average multiple curves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mpillana

Spain
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2021 :  07:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Origin pro 2019 (64 bits ) 9.6.0.172 (academic)
windows 7

Hi
(1) - I am performing an "average multiple curves", with the same number of points as the input data.
- I got the "Std Dev" and the "Std Err values reported".
- At first, I thought "Std Dev" should be the one being plot as error bars in the graph. Now I am doubting if "Std Err" would be better (I think I am aware that StdErr is not the Standard error of the mean, and I guess that this is related to the goodness of the average fitting? ...). Any opinions on this?

(2) - Then I am getting a "Boltzman" fit of the average curve, and reporting the values of the parameter I am interested in (x0) + the "Standard Error" for that parameter, which I read defines the goodness of the fit... Should I better report other errors such as the t-value or the prob for the parameter? Or even global "errors" such as the Rsquare or whatever?

Thanks a lot!!
Marta

Marta

Edited by - mpillana on 05/01/2021 07:35:25 AM

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2021 :  10:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

(1) Std Err is the Standard error of the mean. Regarding using which as error bar, here is a nice article:
https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2019/10/09/statistic-error-bars-mean.html

(2) In terms of fitting, R-squared is better to be included in the output. If you would like to determine if any parameters is significantly different from 0, then show the P-value for that parameter.

James

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000