The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Add second y-axis with y offsett
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Apoorva Fedelmid

23 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2021 :  04:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,
I have created a graph with stacked lines by y offset, where the data is presented with a line plot type. Now, I want to add further data, which shall be presented in a bar plot type, also with y offset. I tried to simply add a second y-axis (Graph -> Layer Management -> Right-Y (Linked X Scale and Dimension)). Then, I went to the layer settings of RightY and ticked "Individual Y" in the "Stack" tab. However, I still can´t move the data. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 12/15/2021 :  04:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Apoorva,

I have no problem when I try to plot the additional plots as stacked lines in layer Right-Y. But when I changed the Plot Type of plots in second layer to Column/Bar, all bars started from the baseline(at the position of X axis), you can not see any offset as the area filled as black.
Do you mean this when you says"I still can´t move the data"?
If so, I think this should not be a problem, because each bar plot should have a baseline by definition.

If you don't mean this, please send us the project file to let me check the scene.
https://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support/SendFilestoSupport

Thanks,
Shirley
OriginLab

Originlab Technical Service Team
Go to Top of Page

Apoorva Fedelmid

23 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2021 :  06:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Shirley,
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, all columns start from the baseline. Can you tell me how to change the baseline for each dataset individually, so that the blue columns move up and the red columns stay at the baseline, for example (see image)? Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2021 :  09:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,
In your original post, you said in first layer, you plotted stacked line plots by Y offset but from the image, there are no stacked lines.

So are those column plots in layer1 or 2.

Back to your question of how to change baseline (where the column/bar starts from, you can refer to this FAQ.
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Quick-Help/Column-Start-from-Axis

It's controlled by setting the additional line on Grids tab of axis db.
E.g. if u set Y=5 for plots in rightY layer, then all columns will start from y=5.
Or don't check it, instead, for right Y axis, u can set the from value to be from -5 so y=0 position will be higher in the graph so the column bar still starts from y=0 so looks shifted upwards.

The stack tab is mainly used for multiple plots plotted together and shift them. If u only plot one plot, u can't change Y offset.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Apoorva Fedelmid

23 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2021 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Snowli,
Thanks for your answer! Yes, this is correct because I only snipped the columns, but the stacked lines are above the columns in Layer 1. The columns are in layer 2. I followed your proposal of changing the starting value to -5 and I see what you mean. However, this is an unhandy solution because when I want to shift several columns on their own, I have to create several layers/right Y axes. I thought there would be a simpler solution, i.e., just declaring the right Y axes to "accept" stacked bar plots by y offset.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2021 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,
No, you don't need to create multiple layers.

As long as you have multiple plots for RightY layer, u can also stack them no matter then are line plots or column.
See

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Apoorva Fedelmid

23 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2021 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Snowli,
I appreciate your effort, thank you! I managed to do it now, too, after grouping them. However, I still don´t understand why it's not possible to move them with the cursor similar to the stacked line graphs (even if Stack -> Individual is ticked). I don´t know any program which is as cumbersome as Origin (e.g., controlling the width of the column is also a pain in the ass, as one has to do it via values in other columns etc etc..). Anyway, thanks, it´s not your fault :D
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2021 :  09:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Apoorva,

Sorry that we don't support shift single plot.
I will check with developer again if we will improve it.

Regarding to column width, could you let me know what difficulty you have since there is gap between bars and overlap controls on spacing tab as well so u don't have to use another column for column/bar width.

Maybe you can share your project to demonstrate the issue.

Origin is powerful but also because of its powerfulness, it can be complicated. We'd like to hear from user and see how to improve ease of use.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2021 :  09:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just FYI, I created two jiras for our developer to check if we can improve.

ORG-24666 Set offset of ungrouped plot or single plot
ORG-24667 Failure to set individual offset for Stacked columns by Y offset

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2022 :  11:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hi Apoorva,
Just FYI that in Origin 2022b which we just released yesterday, u can move columns in the stacked column by Y offset plot by dragging.

Please visit originlab.com/2022b to see highlights and also how to upgrade if you have valid maintenance.

Best, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000