The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Plot graphs one after the other without overlap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

DaveChemist34543

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  05:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Hello,

I want to plot multiple graphs one after the other without overlap.
Similar to the unknown pleasures cover from joy division:

Does anybody know how it works?
Thanks

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  05:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I observe many overlaps in the plot on the album cover.
Or you just want to create a simple "stacked lines" graph?
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/StackLineYOffset-Graph
Go to Top of Page

DaveChemist34543

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  06:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by aplotnikov

I observe many overlaps in the plot on the album cover.
Or you just want to create a simple "stacked lines" graph?
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/StackLineYOffset-Graph

Sry for the unclear description.
I want to stack graphs with the bottom ones always in the front so they partially hide the graphs in the background.
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  06:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can optimize the offset between the stacked lines to reduce/avoid overlaps.
Or you can create a multilayer graph with separate layer for each plot.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  09:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

You can plot 3d: 3d waterfall.
Then adjust the X & Y offsets e.g.

U can choose Planes tab to turn off background planes or change plane color.

If u choose plot node on left side of Plot Details dialog, there is pattern tab. Plot is set to black while fill is set as white. U can change plot and fill colors.

Also can go to Axis dialog to turn off axis line and grids, etc.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello DaveChemist34543,

quote:

I want to plot multiple graphs one after the other without overlap.
Similar to the unknown pleasures cover from joy division:

First time someone referred to the cover of a music album for help with graphing!

What you need is a 3D Watefall plot:
https://www.originlab.com/doc/en/Tutorials/3D-Waterfall
which you can customize further (turn off planes, adjust skewness, change background color etc) to achieve something like this (created with sample data shipped with Origin):

If you need further help, submit a support ticket from here:
https://www.originlab.com/restricted/support/newticket.aspx?c=3

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  09:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Snow and Easwar,

the graph on the cover is a 2D one - there is no any visible perspective on it. That was the reason why I suggested exactly stacked lines.

Moreover, 3D-representation of 2D-plots does not avoid the problem of overlapping.

Alexei
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi aplotnikov,
When using stacked lines by Y offset, the top plot is the last plot. So if fill color below each curve, it blocks all plots in the front.

That's why we suggested using 3d waterfall way where front plot blocks the back plots.
For 3d waterfall way, user can also set Projection to be Orthographic and no Shearing to make it 2d like.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  10:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Snow,

>if fill color below each curve
And what is the reason to use color fill?! Just don't do it and you'll obtain the image the topic starter needs. You may need to optimize the Y-offset turning off automatic gap in the layer properties if necessary.
Indeed there are overlaps in the cover image. And you cannot remove them simply using Waterfall graph - you should do the same optimization as for stacked lines. The presence of perspective is only the difference.

Alexei
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  11:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
U can try with waterfall.dat under samples\graphs to see the differences.
If u just plot it as stacked lines by Y offset and set a constant offset, e.g. 10.
Then set layer background to black. Line plot color to white.
U can see shapes of all curves so looks messy.
I feel user wants front curves to block back curves. So I tried to fill area under curve to Fill to Base and set fill color to black.
Because of drawing order, the last curve will black the other plots.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  12:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just invert the offset order for plots: the last curve must be the lowest. It works perfectly - I tried it with sample datasets.

Edited by - aplotnikov on 04/11/2022 3:36:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000