The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Labeling in "Grouped Column Scatter" -
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Moerser

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2023 :  10:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 2023b (64-bit)

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Hello everybody,

I want to label my "Categorical: Grouped Column Scatter - Indexed Data"-plot and I don't know how to do it! But first things first.

My data looks like that:

whereas column B is my data and column M are the groups. Then I let draw a graph via "Categorical: Grouped Column Scatter - Indexed Data".
In the end I get a graph like this:

Now I want to label every data point within the graph e. g. with the column N in the first image.
Is there any possiblity that I can label the data points like this? If so, how? Or do I need to use another graph type? Keep in mind, that I really want to display my data as in the second image (data points must be categorized and the data points within one category must be on one line [no offset in x-direction]).

Can someone help me please?

Greetings,
Moerser

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2023 :  12:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When using "Categorical: Grouped Column Scatter - Indexed Data"-plot, it transformed data into Output Data sheet and the graph is actually based on the data on that sheet. Since it doesn't have column N there, it's impossible to label with N.

Instead, here is what you can do: (I used column C as grouping info instead of M)
Set column C as Categorial and X column
highlight column B and C and plot regular scatter graph. --> Origin will plot B(Y) against C(X).
Then click data point in graph to turn on data labeling with mini toolbar button A.

And click any label and change the label to be from column D.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Moerser

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2023 :  03:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey Snow,

thank you so much! This is such an clever and easy way to solve my problem! Didn't know I can set columns as categorial, now I'm a little bit smarter, thanks! :)
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2023 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You are very welcome.

Origin is smarter than you thought:-)

BTW, unsorted means follow the data appearance order so P(-11)-P(-10) is treated as 1, P(-10)-P(-9) is 2, ....

You can double click on "Unsorted" on Categories row to customize categories. E.g. Ascending, Descending, User-defined order. U can also remove or add some extra categories even though no such data. The plot will update.

So you don't need to manually order your data in columns.

https://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/Categorical-Values-Ordering

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000