The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Signal-to-noise ratio computation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

nesgio

Switzerland
6 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2023 :  10:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

I am currently plotting a chromatogram, which represents the signal over time. I would like to compute the signal-to-noise ratio using Origin. However, I couldn't find a specific method to do so. Could you please let me know if it is feasible to calculate the signal-to-noise ratio in OriginPro?

Below you can find a representation of what I would like to do:

Here the details of my OriginPro version and operating system:
OriginPro 2022 and Service Release 9.9.0.225
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise Build 19045

Thank you!

Gioele

Edited by - nesgio on 10/18/2023 10:49:34 AM

AmandaLu

439 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  02:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Origin cannot calculate signal-to-noise ratio right now. But we already have a plan to support it in an App (APPS-699).

Thanks,
Amanda
OriginLab Technical Service
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  03:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Gioele,

You can find the description of the S/N calculation methods in chromatography in the book "Data Analysis and Signal Processing in Chromatography" by A.Felinger, Elsevier, 1998, pp.137-139

You do not need any additional tools - all the necessary operations are already implemented in Origin.

Edited by - aplotnikov on 11/13/2023 03:44:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  05:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AmandaLu

Origin cannot calculate signal-to-noise ratio right now.

Hi Amanda,

I'm just wondering, what exactly Origin can't calculate right now? The standard deviation of the baseline or the peak height?

P.S. It is impossible to provide customers an app for every particular task they have, moreover it's a wrong concept from my point of view. Sometimes they should learn basics. Seems, that just few of them even try to read Origin manuals at all.

Edited by - aplotnikov on 11/13/2023 05:36:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

nesgio

Switzerland
6 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  11:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by aplotnikov

Hi Gioele,

You can find the description of the S/N calculation methods in chromatography in the book "Data Analysis and Signal Processing in Chromatography" by A.Felinger, Elsevier, 1998, pp.137-139

You do not need any additional tools - all the necessary operations are already implemented in Origin.

Hi aplotnikov,

Thanks for your response, I am familiar with the book you mentioned. I would like to automate the S/N computation with Origin using methods such as RMS or Peak-to-Peak.
May I ask you how do you perform S/N calculations in Origin? Amanda mentioned that this function is not yet implemented.

Best regards,

Gioele

Edited by - nesgio on 11/13/2023 11:25:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

nesgio

Switzerland
6 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AmandaLu

Hi,

Origin cannot calculate signal-to-noise ratio right now. But we already have a plan to support it in an App (APPS-699).

Thanks,
Amanda
OriginLab Technical Service

Hi Amanda,

Many thanks for your answer. Please keep me posted when the app will be available.

Best regards,

Gioele
Go to Top of Page

aplotnikov

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2023 :  1:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Gioele,

quote:
Originally posted by nesgio

I am familiar with the book you mentioned.

Wonderful. And why you do not follow the definitions in this book? I mean the equation (6.19) on page 138.
quote:
I would like to automate the S/N computation with Origin using methods such as RMS or Peak-to-Peak.

1. Are you sure that this methods are common in chromatography? Felinger has avoided this definitions, by the way.
2. https://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/ref/Rms-func br /
(somebody does read manuals, heh - but you can easily implement this function by yourself!)
3. You can easily implement "Peak-to-Peak" method using Origin _basic_ features - as a Labtalk or a Python script.
quote:
May I ask you how do you perform S/N calculations in Origin?

Last time I calculated S/N for chromatographic data was nine or ten years ago. I don't think there has been much change since then. I used the definition from Felinger's book. You need peak height - it can be found either by approximation (NLSF) or simply by smoothing/interpolation (everything can be automated in Origin using standard features!), you can even subtract baseline if necessary (already implemented in Origin as well). And divide the result by standard deviation of the baseline multiplied by 4. Equation (6.19) on page 138.
quote:
Amanda mentioned that this function is not yet implemented.

She mentioned that the complete calculation is not implemented as a separate app. But all the necessary operations _are_ implemented. Everything you need belongs to the basic Origin features. You can easily implement this calculation using Labtalk (or Python - I know, Labtalk is rather a stepchild for Originlab last years).

Regards,

Alex
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000