The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Simple Text Formatting Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

seamus.holden

UK
Posted - 08/23/2006 :  08:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5 SR6
Operating System: XP pro

Hi,
I am trying to insert a text label in a graph, the mean of variable ie "<d>". Except rather than use this notation I want to use the abbreviation of a line above the variable to indicate that it is a mean quantity. I cannot see any mechanism to do this. Is it possible to do so in Origin?

Thanks
Seamus

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Seamus,

Of course the user must define the abbreviation method. For example, if %A holds the full line then %A=%[%A,5] will reduce it to the first four letters. Is that the type of thing you are looking for?

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

fzimnoch

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello:

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you want to insert brackets <> into a text on a graph via the GUI you can call up the extended ASCII character set dialog window with Control+M.

If you are using Labtalk and the Label command then the following example will place <77> at pixel location x=150 & y=150.

label -d 150 150 \(60) 77 \(62);

where 60 and 62 are decimal value pointers into the extended ASCII character set.

Also not sure what you mean by: "abbreviation of a line above". Also need to know how line above was created.

Perhaps this is a start to solving your problem.

FRED
Go to Top of Page

seamus.holden

UK
Posted - 08/23/2006 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No, sorry, I dont think I was very clear. I dont mean in terms of programming at all. A short line above a letter is a notation for the average of that quantity. Basically the opposite to an underline. So when I was talking about variables I just meant the letter referring to a variable.

Is there anyway of producing this overline effect?

Apologies for the conoclusion
Go to Top of Page

seamus.holden

UK
Posted - 08/23/2006 :  10:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
! confusion
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The symbol map (Ctrl+M) contains the overline character at the position shown below. Unfortunately, it only overlines one character at a time (see Text Control box at bottom).

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 08/23/2006 11:52:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

seamus.holden

UK
Posted - 08/24/2006 :  04:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Great, that works fine.

Thanks for your help.
Seamus
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I also discovered an escape sequence, \ab, that will overline multiple characters...

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 08/24/2006 08:01:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000