The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Simple question - Layers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

sombrancelha

Brazil
Posted - 09/07/2007 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi there

I have a very simple question.

I have 1 X column and 3 Y columns, and I want to make a graph of all of them together.

The thing is that I want 2 of the Y columns to follow the left layer, while 1 Y column to follow the right layer. How do I do that?

Thanks
--------------
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5885
Operating System: Windows XP

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  12:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sounds like you want the layers to be side-by-side. Select File> New and open the PAN2HORZ graph template. Then double-click on one of the layer icons to open the Plot Setup dialog and add/format the desired columns.

Plot Setup: click Help button (?) for instructions

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 09/07/2007 12:38:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

sombrancelha

Brazil
Posted - 09/09/2007 :  11:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
that's not what i meant.

I want one layer on the left, the other on the right.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  11:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
I want one layer on the left, the other on the right.
That describes the PAN2HORZ graph template exactly...

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 09/09/2007 11:47:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

sombrancelha

Brazil
Posted - 09/09/2007 :  1:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, I was using the wrong terms... I want to do something like that:

where the red graph follow the red axis, and the blue graph follows the right axis
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  7:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1. Click the New Graph button.
2. Select Edit> New Layer(Axes)> (Linked) Right.
3. Select Format> Layer and make sure the X axis of Layer 2 is linked 1 to 1 with that of Layer 1. (See below)
4. Double-click on one of the layer icons to open the Plot Setup dialog and add/format the desired columns.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  11:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Your last picture looks like our DOUBLEY graph template. The last hurdle is understanding how to use a multi-layer template when plotting multiple datasets.
When adding multiple columns to a multi-layer template Origin usually distributes datasets evenly into layers, as in this 3-Layer case :
Dataset1 --- Layer1
Dataset2 --- Layer2
Dataset3 --- Layer3
Dataset4 --- Layer1
Dataset5 --- Layer2
etc.

In the case of the DOUBLEY plot template Origin plots all of the data except the last one in the first layer. The last dataset goes to the second layer.

To use the alternating data method, select your data and Plot using the Template Library. Choose the 'Special Line and Symbol' Category and pick the DOUBLEY template to plot.

You can also just open the Template and double-click on a layer icon to open the Plot Setup dialog to give you more control.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000