The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 RS 232 port
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

DrKlein

Albania
Posted - 09/10/2007 :  05:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.0
Operating System: Windows 2000

Hi,
I am trying to transmit data to an external device, connected to the computer via the RS-232 port (in my case: COM 1)

What I eventually want to do is clicking into a .bmp image, imported into Origin and having Origin send the coordinates to an external device, which moves to this position.

Anyway, my problems start much earlier:
I tried to communicate with a simple RS-232 device, tried the file RS232commands.c from the data exchange site and the RS232.c file shipped with Origin itself.Neither worked. Communication with Microsoft "Hyperterminal" works, though.
Required RS-232 Settings are
Baud Rate: 9600
Parity: none
Data bits: 8
stop bits: 1

I tried commands like (RS232commands.c):
rs_open(1);
rs_write("*rst\n");

result:
COM1 was opened successfully. (nothing else)

or with RS232.c:
rso 1;
rsw "*rst\n";

result:
COM1 was openned successfully.
6 bytes chars have been sent COM.

The command for the device is *rst and \n is the message terminator. Is the message terminator maybe the problem ? I tried it with and without.

In order to get to the final goal (clicking and transmitting via RS232, is Winedge maybe the better choice for that task ?

Sincerely

Oliver Kiowski
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000