The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Fitting with rate equations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

kdausman

USA
Posted - 09/14/2007 :  5:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 7.5 SR6
Operating System: Windows XP

Short version of question: How do I generate a fitting function that is the solution to a small-to-medium-size initial value simulation?

Long version of the question: Let's say that I have Concentration vs. Time data that I want to model by a set of kinetic rate equations that I have in differential form (i.e., a set of differential equations). Outside of Origin I would do this by numerically integrating the set of rate equations using the 4th-order Runge-Kutta method (an Excel add-in to do this is found here: http://www.chem.mtu.edu/~tbco/cm416/RK4_v3_0.html), and would then systematically vary the input parameters (rate constants and initial concentrations) to achieve the best fit. Is there a way to do this in Origin?

gorkin

Algeria
2 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes there is. You can do numerical integration with origin, but implementation is much more difficult than with other software like Scientist. I would like to see this sort of functionality in origin in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Deanna

China
Posted - 09/23/2007 :  10:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

It is possible to perform fitting with a function that involves integration. You may see instructions in this page:
http://www.originlab.com/www/support/resultstech.aspx?ID=121&language=English&Version=7.5

Deanna
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

kdausman

USA
Posted - 10/05/2007 :  5:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for the help. Unfortunately, I don't see how to apply that to my situation, because my problem isn't a simple integral. Let me give you a specific example.

Suppose that I have the following two differential equations:

dA/dt = -k1*A - k2*A^2 - k3*A*B

dB/dt = k1*A + k2*A^2 + k3*A*B

The data I am trying to fit is A (dependent variable) vs. t (independent variable). B is a hidden dependent variable. My fitting parameters are k1, k2, k3, A0, and B0, where A0 and B0 are the values of A and B at t=0.

So, to restate my original question, what I want to do is start with values of A and B, do numerical integration for incremental values of t according to the equations above, and generate a simulated plot of A vs. t, which I then fit to experimental data by varying the ks and A0 and B0. I don't see how to do that from the link you provided. Can you help further?

Thanks!

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 10/08/2007 :  06:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think now Origin can't fit such kind of differential equation.

Thanks
Larry
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

matsati

USA
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  3:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This would be an awsome feature if it was included in a future release!
Go to Top of Page

kdausman

USA
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree, it would be an excellent addition. As it is, however, I have taught myself enough Mathematica that I think I can now do it there. I'd prefer to do it in Origin, certainly, because I really like the interactive fitting, but for the time being I am getting done what I need to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000