The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Box and Whisker Plot Options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

sebastien leblond

France
Posted - 06/17/2008 :  10:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 8
Operating System: Win XP

I was wondering if anyone knows how to control the outliers on the Box and Whisker Plot. In the whisker range options, when I accept the default coefficient value (1.5), the whisker length defines the upper inner and lower inner fence value.

When I select Outliers in the Box options, appear the points that lie outside of the fence values but also the 2 fence values, which are not considered as outliers. I think the problem is coming from a sign < = instead of <.

I also would like that the upper inner and lower inner fence value appear in the worksheet.
Does any body know a solution to this?
many thanks

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 06/19/2008 :  04:07:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Sebastien

Please note that the whisker length does not defines the upper inner and lower inner fence value. It is range of outer-most data point that falls within ¡À 1.5 * IQR

I am sorry that we do not support upper inner and lower inner fence value shown in worksheet. But you can use following script to quickly get the inner fence values
1. Hightlight the data column
2. Run following script

quantiles q1:=q1 q3:=q3 iqr:=iqr;
q3+1.5*iqr=;
q1-1.5*iqr=;

Moreover, thank for reporting us the outlier points problem, It has been reported in tracker #11745 and will be fixed later.

Echo
OriginLab Corp
Go to Top of Page

sebastien leblond

France
Posted - 06/24/2008 :  05:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I don’t understand your answer about the fact that the “whisker length does not defines the upper inner and lower inner fence value. It is range of outer-most data point that falls within ¡À 1.5 * IQR “. Because, in the Help menu “Help, Origin, Index, Customizing the Box Chart: Box Tab Controls”, the following explanations are given. The plot given as example is exactly what I would like
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/04/2008 :  04:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

I think the document you posted comes from Origin 7.5, right? Actually, the definition in 75 is incorrect. We change it in 80, please see the explanation below.

This definition is consistent with SPSS and SAS.

Regarding when you check the "Outliers" checkbox, we show the point just lie on the whisker boundary. It's a bug and We will fix it in the next patch.

Thanks
Larry
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

sebastien leblond

France
Posted - 07/20/2009 :  08:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Is this problem of" Outliers" (point just lie on the whisker boundary)is fixed in SR5?

I have an other problem. I plot a lot of box chart but sometimes, and I don't know why, some outliers points are disappearing from the graph when I try to copy or export or print it. What can I do?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/20/2009 :  9:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

Do you mind sending your OPJ to us from here, and then we can look into it?

Thanks
Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000