The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 performance and size problems with big files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

normanja

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello!

Origin 7.5SR6, Windows XP Pro
hardware: Pentium D 2*2,8GHz, 2GB Ram

I am mainly looking for people with similar experience and wonder if anybody has found a solution.

I am working with projects containing often more than hundred datasets with multiple columns, several MB of file size. I have that data organized in subfolders inside the project. Now when I export all subfolders, the summed size of the project parts is bigger than the project was before. If I start a new project and import all the parts, the project will be 20% bigger than the one I started with, simply by seperating and re-merging.

In that big (20MB) file, it takes more than two seconds to change into a subfolder and opening a graph.

Is all this a known problem, which is being worked on? Otherwise, one has clearly to advise against using Origin for big projects.

Greetings, Norman.

Fay_Guo

China
Posted - 08/11/2008 :  9:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Norman,

Would you mind to share us your OPJ file and let's look into it?

You can upload your file to ftp://ftp.originlab.com/incoming/

Thanks
Fay
Originlab Technical Service

Edited by - Fay_Guo on 08/11/2008 10:03:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

normanja

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  10:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Fay!

I just uploaded performance_and_size_problems_with_big_files.zip. Please delete it as soon as you have stored it locally, I do not want to have it world-readable forever.

Find my comments and an explanation int readme.txt.

Thanks so far, good luck, Norman.
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Since Fay will not be back until Monday, I have gotten that zip file and deleted it from our ftp.

I have created traker 12032 for this issue.

Thanks.

CP
Go to Top of Page

ML

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  6:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Norman,

Thanks for the projects and for the extensive explanations.

The bug that causes inordinate growth of file size will be fixed in 8.0 SR3 (to be released in a few days). After you load the project (such as project1.opj) once into Origin 8.0 SR3 and save it, the file size will go down substantially (likewise the time needed to load your projects).

Until Origin 8.0 SR3 is out, you can clean up your projects using Origin 7.5 by executing the following two commands in the Script Window:

del -v col(*;
del -v c:*;

(you can just copy and paste into the Script Window the above two lines, select them, and hit "Enter"). This will clean the project almost as well as when you load them into 8.0 SR3 and save. For example, the size of project1_emptied.opj goes down from 608KB to 21KB.

Some "loose" datasets (i.e. those that were not in any worksheet/matrix and hence could not be removed by removing worksheets/matrices) will still remain. For example, in project1_emptied.opj there are four such datasets (you can see them using the LabTalk command list s;):

1* Layout1_Ekorr025
2* Layout1A_Ekorr025
3* Layout1B_Ekorr025
4* Layout1C_Ekorr025

They seem to be small, though. If you wish, you can delete them one-by-one using del command thusly:

del Layout1_Ekorr025

Thanks.

ML
Go to Top of Page

Kat

Germany
Posted - 08/20/2008 :  11:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by normanja
In that big (20MB) file, it takes more than two seconds to change into a subfolder and opening a graph.

Well, this is something that I experience, too. Additionally, if I try to change a graphs axes by double click on one of them, I see some funky black and white flashing and blinking for up to several minutes until the menu finally pops up...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000