The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 particles size distribution from SEM photo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

grigoryevaolga

Ukraine
2 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  07:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.0
Operating System: Windows XP 2000

1. Could you, please, help me to determine the particles size distribution from scanning electronic microscopy (SEM) microphotos using Origin programm. I will be thankful for any help.

or

2. How to convert the Original image from SEM microphoto to the Threshold image and to determine the particles size distribution?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Olga

olga

alyrian

UK
Posted - 02/06/2009 :  6:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Olga,

I dont think you can do image analysis with Origin, only data analysis part and plotting once you have your particle size distribution.

Try ImageJ, it's made for SEM Image Analysis and a freeware

Good luck

Steven
Go to Top of Page

grigoryevaolga

Ukraine
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  5:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Steven!

Thank you very much for your answer.
Probably I have found a solution for myself. It is not fully automatic way but I can determine the particle size distribution by using Origin. I just convert CEM microphotos into a pixel matrix, then I plot "Profiles"-graph, then I manually determine the diameter of about 100 particles, then do "Sort Column-Ascending" and finally I select "frequency count" and do the plot "particles (in %) - diameter of particles (in nm)".
Why not?

Nevertheless I will try to use ImageJ program. Thank you again.

Olga

olga
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  6:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If there are more request on this area, we can easily add such capability to OriginPro. If you can try ImageJ and still think it make good sense to do such analysis (object identification and counting on imported images) in Origin, then we can consider adding it in the next version.

CP
Go to Top of Page

nzn

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  3:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hai Olga and everyone,

I have a lot of SEM and TEM images. I want to measure a particle size of my samples from the images. Could you or anyone to help me to do that with origin. FYI, I have OriginPro 8.6.

Because I am a new Origin user, could you please let me know the procedurs step by step.

Thank you very much in advance.

NZN,
London
Go to Top of Page

qilonglouisville2012

3 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  2:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Steve,I'm trying to analyze the EM particles size distribution using ImageJ, but I can not get the right result. Can you help me to analyze the size or show me how to do it? Thank you so much!
Qilong
quote:
Originally posted by alyrian

Hi Olga,

I dont think you can do image analysis with Origin, only data analysis part and plotting once you have your particle size distribution.

Try ImageJ, it's made for SEM Image Analysis and a freeware

Good luck

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi olga,

> Probably I have found a solution for myself. It is not fully automatic way but I can determine
> the particle size distribution by using Origin. ...I plot "Profiles"-graph, then I manually determine
> the diameter of about 100 particles,

Apart from ImageJ, if manually, you can also use the "Digitizer" tool.
The following script to unstack the XY data of all-connected trail to the separate pairs of
terminals, and to get the statistics like in the screenshot:
////////////////////////////////////////////////
nr=wks.maxRows; nc=wks.nCols;  nobj=0;
worksheet -a 8; //add cols statLabel, stat, ID, xx1, yy1, xx2, yy2, dia
for(ii=1; ii<=nr; ii=ii+2) {
  nobj++;
  xx1=wcol(1)[ii];    yy1=wcol(2)[ii];
  xx2=wcol(1)[ii+1];  yy2=wcol(2)[ii+1];
  dia=Distance(xx1,yy1,xx2,yy2);
  wcol(nc+3)[nobj]=nobj;
  wcol(nc+4)[nobj]=dia;
  wcol(nc+5)[nobj]=xx1;  wcol(nc+6)[nobj]=yy1;
  wcol(nc+7)[nobj]=xx2;  wcol(nc+8)[nobj]=yy2;
};
wcol(nc+1)[L]$ = "Statistics";
wcol(nc+3)[L]$ = "ID";  wcol(nc+4)[L]$ = "Diameter";
wcol(nc+5)[L]$ = "X1";  wcol(nc+6)[L]$ = "Y1";
wcol(nc+7)[L]$ = "X2";  wcol(nc+8)[L]$ = "Y2";
sum(wcol(nc+5));  //get stats
wcol(nc+1)[1]$ = "N";    wcol(nc+2)[1] = sum.n;
wcol(nc+1)[2]$ = "Mean"; wcol(nc+2)[2] = sum.mean;
wcol(nc+1)[3]$ = "SD";   wcol(nc+2)[3] = sum.sd;
wcol(nc+1)[4]$ = "Max";  wcol(nc+2)[4] = sum.max;
wcol(nc+1)[5]$ = "Min";  wcol(nc+2)[5] = sum.min;
////////////////////////////////////////////////

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000