The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 recoloring graphs in Powerpoint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

blanpied

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  10:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8SR4, v8.0951
Operating System: XP 2002 SP3
Powerpoint: 2007 (12.0.4518.1014)

Hi,

On my former computer with Origin 7.5 and Office 2003, I'd paste graphs into Powerpoint (copy page, then regular clipboard paste), and then be able to recolor the individual elements of the graph in PPT to suit the color scheme there (using the regular MSOffice Format Object dialog). This was essential and handy, for instance, to choose colors that are best for the dark background of a presentation instead of the white background of a printed figure without bothering to reformat everything in Origin.

However, now with Office2007 and O8Pro, when I paste in a graph, the Format Object..Picture..Recolor button in PPT doesn't permit me to change colors of the graph. (It doesn't pop up any dialog, as if there's nothing to operate on.)

Because my old computer is dead and I no longer have Office 2003 or Origin 7.5, I can't figure out what's changed. Is it Office 2007 or Origin 8 that is preventing me from doing this? Is there a workaround that is remotely convenient?

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. Related question: is there a way to recolor in a single click all objects and text in a layer or on a page that are a single color to another color? For instance, change all the blue things (lines, labels, axis) to red?

emily_yu

China
37 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  04:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Tomas

If you simply use copy & paste a graph, it will be seen as an Origin Object in Power Point, maybe the MSOffice prevent you to change the color scheme.

You can try to do this according following steps:

1.In Origin, right click the mouse on graph and select "Copy Page".
2.Open Power Point and choose "Paste: Paste Special: Picture (Windows Metafile)". Then you can use MSOffice Picture Tools to edit the graph. If you want to edit it through Drawing Tools, please right click the graph and choose "Edit Picture". You will see a window, and click "Ok" button.

For you another question, we have no tool that can recolor all objects at one time, sorry for that.

Best regards,
Emily
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

blanpied

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Thanks for that. The "recolor all" feature, which would be quite powerful, and I hope you guys can come up with a way to do it.

The pasting you describe below will certainly give an object that you can convert and ungroup to deal with as separate line objects in PPT, though it is not retained as an embedded Origin object.

If I get info on this issue from MS, I will post it here, since I assume there must be lots of people who paste Origin pages directly into powerpoint for both slides and printed figures.

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by emily_yu

Hi, Tomas

If you simply use copy & paste a graph, it will be seen as an Origin Object in Power Point, maybe the MSOffice prevent you to change the color scheme.

You can try to do this according following steps:

1.In Origin, right click the mouse on graph and select "Copy Page".
2.Open Power Point and choose "Paste: Paste Special: Picture (Windows Metafile)". Then you can use MSOffice Picture Tools to edit the graph. If you want to edit it through Drawing Tools, please right click the graph and choose "Edit Picture". You will see a window, and click "Ok" button.

For you another question, we have no tool that can recolor all objects at one time, sorry for that.

Best regards,
Emily
OriginLab Technical Services

Go to Top of Page

blanpied

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  01:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Answer:
According to the "PowerPoint 2007 Bible" by Faithe Wempen, as well as other less official-sounding web sources, previous versions of PPT had the recolor feature that could use the themes of the powerpoint file, but this was cleverly eliminated in PPT 2007.

Yet another Microsoft disaster, so far as I'm concerned.

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by blanpied

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8SR4, v8.0951
Operating System: XP 2002 SP3
Powerpoint: 2007 (12.0.4518.1014)

Hi,

On my former computer with Origin 7.5 and Office 2003, I'd paste graphs into Powerpoint (copy page, then regular clipboard paste), and then be able to recolor the individual elements of the graph in PPT to suit the color scheme there (using the regular MSOffice Format Object dialog). This was essential and handy, for instance, to choose colors that are best for the dark background of a presentation instead of the white background of a printed figure without bothering to reformat everything in Origin.

However, now with Office2007 and O8Pro, when I paste in a graph, the Format Object..Picture..Recolor button in PPT doesn't permit me to change colors of the graph. (It doesn't pop up any dialog, as if there's nothing to operate on.)

Because my old computer is dead and I no longer have Office 2003 or Origin 7.5, I can't figure out what's changed. Is it Office 2007 or Origin 8 that is preventing me from doing this? Is there a workaround that is remotely convenient?

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. Related question: is there a way to recolor in a single click all objects and text in a layer or on a page that are a single color to another color? For instance, change all the blue things (lines, labels, axis) to red?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000