The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Multiple Lines in Label-Texts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

premiumxy

17 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  05:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5 SR0
Operating System: WinXP

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to have a line break in the data point/tick labels?

The concrete situation:
I have three columns (X-Data, Y-Data, Labels) that I want to plot. Some Labels are very long, so it would look nicer to have them in two or three lines.
I tried to add escape commands, but while special letters like greek [\g(XYZ)] works, the newline command [\n] does not. I also tried to use the ASCII symbol [\(010)] - not succesful.
I read something with an "-sa" command to use "\n" in LabTalk. But I am not sure how to apply it in my simple case...

Thanks for help!
Stefan

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Version 8 allows you to have multi-line text which displays labels as multi-line.

In 7.5 the -s -sa options only work for TYPE statements which won't get the data into a cell. The only trick I know in 7.5 is the following:

col(3)[1]$="Apples
Peaches
Pumpkin Pie";
col(3)[2]$="Line one
Line two";

So if column 3 is your Label column, they will plot as multiple lines.
Go to Top of Page

premiumxy

17 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  12:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks greg for the hint and the information, that I'll better upgrade...

But the code you suggested did not work for me, "command error"
It worked as long as I stayed in one line, like

col(3)[1]$="Apples"

But as soon as I used a second line (by typing "Control"+"Return") the errormessage showed up.

Do you know why?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000