The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to plot data pionts over an x axis group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

benzo

9 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 8 pro and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:Vista

Dear Origin users,

I have multiple data points (gene expression levels -3 to +6) for multiple catergories(each category is a target gene). I need to plot the individual data points in a vertical manner over each data points' respective category (labelled on the x axis). And have all the categories' with their data points plotted on one graph- for easy analysis.

So in essence, I want to have a vertical scatter for the points over the x axis category label (almost like a bar graph, except the bar is replaced with the individual data points).

Addditionally I need to include some identifying mark for the median.

Is this possible?
Thanks,
Benzo

benzo

9 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  8:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Here is how I put my data into origin, hoping that I would be able to find an option to plot the graph I spoke of in the initial post:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5277/tablelayout.jpg
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  11:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Benzo,

One way to do this would be to plot a box chart. You could then opt to show both data and box. The data gets binned (not plotted raw) so one could specify a small bin size such as in the settings image below. Other things like what percentiles to show etc can be controlled in the plot details dialog. Maybe this will work?

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

benzo

9 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  7:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
That's exactly what I wanted. I may add the median lines in Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  4:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Benzo,

Adding the median line using Adobe Illustrator sounds like a workaround that may be tedious plus not reliable (in terms of placing it at exact value etc)

What sort of graph picture did you have in mind? Can you post a picture say after you tweak this in Adobe Illustrator so we can see what you wanted and see if we can make improvements or a plotting procedure for what you want?

Thanks,

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000