The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 project size and performance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mweiland

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 8, SR 6
Operating System: WinVista Business

I have a problem with an origin project, it is about 130MB in size. As saving takes an awful time meanwhile (more than 3 minutes, projects similar in size do not need that long), I tried to split it into several projects. However, exporting part of it and deleting this part did not change the file size at all and saving still takes a long time. Moreover I tried to added the split data and deleted it again. At the end this lead to an increase of another 10 MB in file size.

Why can't I decrease the file size by deleting not used data?!

I uploaded data files explaining and illustrating this behaviour to
ftp://ftp.originlab.com/incoming/data.zip

"data" and "data_2" are the original files, for "data+data_2" "data_2" was added to "data", "data+data_2-data_2" is the project file after the added "data_2" was deleted again.

Furthermore saving does not take that long anymore with these files. It contrast to the original files all datasets are simply replaced by random numbers - how can this difference cause such a speed up?

Thanks,
Matthias.

Sam Fang

291 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  06:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I can reproduce your problem.

Thanks for reporting the problem and your data files. I have submitted your problem to our developer. It will be fixed in the future.

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

mweiland

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  07:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Great,

meanwhile I figured out the origin of the performance issues as well. Somehow the time needed to save the document depends on the number of columns with a certain recalculate mode. Setting nearly all of the columns in the given data files to AU_AUTO or AU_ON_COMMAND leads to a time of about 18 minutes for saving the given project. Setting all of the columns in the data files to AU_NONE (as provided on the ftp-server) saving takes about 30 seconds. Is this related to updating all these columns on saving the project? I can somehow understand if all columns with recalculate mode AU_AUTO are updated on saving the data file. However, with AU_ON_COMMAND they should only be updated manually. So at least using this mode, there should be no additional process involved when saving the project.

Thank you,
Matthias.
Go to Top of Page

folger

China
6 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  05:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Hi Weiland:

We have confirmed that the slowly saving problem is caused by the huge number of auto update operations, exactly as what you found out, and we will improve it in our next version.

For the other problem about file size, if you open data_2.opj alone, but not appending, then delete all the pages in data folder and save, you will see there is still 12MB in size, which seems obviously wrong for an "empty" file.

Try "list op" in the "empty" project, there are lots of dangling operations, which is terribly wrong and I have no idea how to make this happen. So I am curious about how you "split" the data.opj into data_2.opj, would you please tell us your steps ? Then I can do further checking.

Originlab Corp.
There is always something
Go to Top of Page

mweiland

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you.

data_2.opj was a subset of data.opj. It was a separate folder within the project and I separated it by using "Save as" from the context menu of this folder. Afterwards I deleted the folder in "data.opj".

I tried to reproduce the problem, by once again splitting of a folder the same way. Deleting all pages from the new projects and using "list op". I could only find dangling operations for the subset project, but not the original project without this subset.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000