The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Plotting unsorted data
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mrandersb

25 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  07:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
If i have a column like X= [1,5,3,6,8] and another Y= [1,23,4,3,5], and i want to plot it in a (X,Y) line plot, but sorted after the X column, how can I do that. I don't want to sort the data in the sheet, and then plot it.

The problem now is that when i plot the data, the line crosses it self, instead of doing it like it was sorted.

hope it makes sense.

Laurie

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  09:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When creating a line plot or line + symbol plot Origin draws each point and connects them, so you would need to sort in the worksheet prior to plotting.

Highlight the X column and right-click and then from the context menu that opens, choose 'Sort Worksheet:Ascending'.

OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

mrandersb

25 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
But I don't want to sort the workshet, because it is ordered after something else
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 06/24/2010 :  02:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The connecting line in Line + Symbol plot is base on data order, so, sort is necessary.

If you don't want to sort the original raw data, maybe you can add two columns, copy data to new columns and sort in these two columns.

Thanks
Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000