The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Use text as a variable for categorical plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

szailer

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  4:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.0
Operating System: Win XP

Hi,

Could anybody help me with this:
I have several files with data like below.
Compound m/m% StdErr | El Weight% StdErr
------ -------- ------- | -- -------- -------
Al2O3 73.20 0.22 | Al 38.74 0.12
SiO2 14.80 0.18 | Si 6.92 0.08
MgO 5.85 0.12 | Mg 3.53 0.07
P2O5 2.76 0.08 | Px 1.20 0.04
SO3 1.15 0.05 | Sx 0.460

I'd like to plot Al2O3 values (and all others) from each file but sometimes it is not in the first line and sometime it's missing, so sorting does not help. In other words I would like that Origin would recognize my X column names as categorical values and plot them as a group.

I was thinking to assign a numerical value to each compound then plot the values in a bar chart and then change the X-axis label to categorical but I hope there a better way to do this.

Thanks

Tamas Szailer

VincentLiu

China
Posted - 06/24/2010 :  02:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Do you mean you want to set the 1st columns as categorical data? If yes, you just need to select the column and right click on it to select "Set as Categorical" from the context menu. If not, could you send your data files to us and tell us more details about it through

http://www.originlab.com/www/company/qform.aspx?s=1&

OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

szailer

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I found a bug.

Most files contain Na as an element, but one of them does not. It has Ni. So instead of showing zero value at Na where Na is not there, it plots Ni. I think because it starts with the same letter and the look-up algorithm does not look at the second letter to match the categories. Can you look into this?

Very simple example:
Book 1:
Mg 10
Na 20

Book 2:
Mg 30
Ni 50

Set both Xs as categorical and it will plot Ni as Na.

Tamas Szailer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000