The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 A question about "nolinear surface fit"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  08:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver8. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:winXP

In Origin 8, there is one menu of "nonlinear surface fit". If I want to get the 2-D polynominal trend of my data, is it appropriate to choose this menu. My data is composed by a two dimension polynominal trend fit and gaussion noise.

There is another menu of "multiple regresssion", I don't know whether this menu is better for my aim of trend extraction. Is there any difference between "nonlinear surface fit" and "multiple regresssion", or maybe the "nonlinear surface fit" in Origin 8 is just a kind of "multiple regresssion"?

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  9:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am sorry for a mistake. The word "polynominal" should be "polynomial".

My data is composed by a two dimension second-order polynomial trend and gaussion noise. If I want to extract the 2-D
second-order polynomial trend. what menu in Origin 8 should I choose, "nonlinear surface fit" or "multiple regresssion"?
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

Nonlinear surface fitting fits nonlinear model with two independent parameters; Multiple Regression fits linear model. You should choose proper method according your model and research goal.

If the model is linear, nonlinear fitting will generate the same fitted parameter values with multiple regression.

Thanks
Larry
Go to Top of Page

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000