The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 XY dataset with Parameter-Column
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

premiumxy

17 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Dear all,

I have a simple question, and could not find any solution so far: My dataset has the following structure

XYP

The "P" is a column that contains a parameter (a discrete parameter, for each parameter, there exist approx 30 X values and the corresponding Y values).

How can I quickly plot the XY values, where automatically different datasets (and therefore colors) are used for different parameter values.

Thanks for any support,
Stefan

Origin Ver. 8.1 and Service Release SR1 (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: Windows XP

AmandaLu

439 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  01:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi premiumxy,

To plot XY values automatically using Parameter column as the category column, you can choose the Show Construction checkbox in the Plot Details dialog. For example, I create same sample data as below

And I want to use the third column Col(P) as the category column. Then I can:

1. Highlight the first two columns and create a Scatter plot.

2. Double click the Scatter plot to open the Plot Details dialog box. Select Show Construction checkbox. Select Geometric radio button. Then choose Col(P) from Shape drop-down list. This will change the symbol shape according to P values. To color symbols according to P column, select Index Col(P) for Symbol Color.

3. Click OK to apply.

Go to Top of Page

cindynico

15 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  03:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi AmandaLu,

One more question from an Origin newbie: how should I proceed to display on the graph the values of the P column ?

Thanks for helping.

Cindynico
Go to Top of Page

AmandaLu

439 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  8:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi cindynico,

You can show the P values in the legend. To do this, select Graph: New Enhanced Legend from the main menu when the graph is active.

Is this good enough for you?

Edited by - AmandaLu on 02/11/2011 8:17:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

cindynico

15 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  05:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks but I'd like to include the value on the graph not in the legend. Actually I plot a ternary graph where I want to display on the graph the labels located in the A colum.

I hope it's possible

Origin 6.1
Go to Top of Page

cindynico

15 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  09:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
or even is it possible to define the labels as symbols in the graph ?
Thanks for helping !

Origin 6.1
Go to Top of Page

AmandaLu

439 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  9:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi cindynico,

Origin 6.1 cannot add labels in Ternary. However, our lasted version, Origin 8.5, offers a new feature of adding labels for almost all plot types. After creating a Ternary, you can double click on data points to open the Plot Details dialog. On the Label tab, you can Enable adding labels and specify the label by using values from Col(A). You can download our demo to have a try:

http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Downloads/OriginEvaluation

To define the labels as symbols, you can set the Symbol Size to 0 and set Label Position as Center.
Go to Top of Page

cindynico

15 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  02:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks a lot for your reply !
cindynico

Origin 6.1
Go to Top of Page

premiumxy

17 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  07:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks AmandaLu, it was exactly what I was looking for!

Problem solved!
Go to Top of Page

cindynico

15 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello again,
I've upgraded my Origin to 8.5 version. I've folowing your instructions but the col(A) which contains the labels is not proposed
in the Label Form. Look below, the layer1 and plot details are reported. What is missing ? Thanks for helping

Origin 6.1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000