The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Box chart with specifed x values
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

yeke

2 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  05:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin version 8, windows XP

Hello, I would like to generate a group of box charts on one single plot and examine the trend depends on the x value. For each box chart, there is a determined x value. But origin generates the plots automatically with same gap and does not give an option for x value input.

How can i accomplish this? Hope it is clear. Thank you!

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  10:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

How is your data organized?

If you have multiple columns of data where the x value associated with the column is say in a header row (such as in long name or a custom header row) then selecting all the Y columns and creating a box chart does separate them and uses say the long name as label on the x axis of the plot.

If on the other hand you have one column of x values (which is your grouping variable) and another column with your raw data, then you could do the following:
1> Select the column with raw data and use menu item Statistics->Descriptive Statistics->Statistics on Columns
2> Expand the Range1 node under Input data, and then assign the column with your x values to the Grouping Range input box
3> Expand Output Reports To->Graph Arrangement node, and check the box named Arrange Plots of Same Type in One Graph
4> Expand the Plots node and check the Box Charts check box
5> Press Ok to compute

Then in the report sheet you will see one graph with your multiple box charts created using your X value as grouping variable.

If neither solution works for the way your data is arranged, send your opj to tech support using this page:
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support&pid=752

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

yeke

2 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your reply. The problem is yet not solved. Maybe i cud demonstrate it a bit better. For example, I would like to investigate the power output (y value) of a motor on different rotation speed (x value) with box plots. The motor is run at 100rpm, 150rpm, 250rpm, 500rpm, which the neighbored x value does not share a same step. When processing the data with descriptive statistics with grouping column (as suggested by your second approach), origin generates 5 box charts on one plot. However, the gap between the box charts in x direction is same, no matter between 100rpm and 150rpm, or between 250rpm and 500rpm.

I would like to have a plot with one single x and y axis, with all of the box charts on it. Instead of sharing a same gap in x direction, the positioning of the box chart on x direction should correspond to its x numeric value.

Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  08:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This is not currently possible, as we have never had this request before. We can add this as a feature in the next version.

CP
Go to Top of Page

luser

Canada
Posted - 02/16/2011 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I however, found your answer really helpful! It was exactly what I needed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000