The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Enzyme Kd determination - equation won't compile
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

drestef

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  3:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.0
Operating System:Windows 7

Dear Origin community,

I am having some problems concerning determination of an enzyme Kd. I am using a competitive titration method:

Competitor 1 forms a 2:1 complex with the ligand and can be photometrically detected. The reaction Kd is given by literature.

Competitor 2 forms a 1:1 complex with the ligand of which Kd is to be detected.

For the experiment, competitor 2 is added to a mixture of ligand and an excess of competitor 1. competitor 2 picks up substrate from competitor 1, so the concentration of the ligand-competitor 1 complex is reduced and the light absorbtion decreases. I found an equation that seems to perfectly fit to the experiment and I have already examined it using a maths calculation software - The graph is shown below and also seems to perfectly match the data. The equation is:

a/b = (x/(c - y) - 1)/((d/y - 2)^2 y)

where
a = Kd of competitor 2 (which is the parameter of interest),
b = Kd of competitor 1,
c = starting concentration of the substrate-competitor 1 complex
d = total concentration of competitor 1

The variables are
x = concentration of competitor 2 and
y = concentration of substrate-competitor 1 complex

The problem is that I am not able to get the function compiled in origin. The actual fit has not even taken place yet. It would be great if soumeone could give me a hint or perhaps even send me an origin project file containing the equation. I need this for my master's thesis and I can't find anybody who is able to help me with this.

Best regards from germany,
Steffen

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  04:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Steffen,

I am not sure whether your equation has analytic solution. Origin currently does not support the fitting of implicit function, that is to say, the fitting function must can be written as y=f(x). If you have make sure that your fitting function can be written as y=f(x), please follow this tutorial.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

cc261

22 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
try a soft named Auto2Fit or 1stOpt, they support nonlinear regression for implicit function perfectly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000