The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 x-axis from -3 to 0 to -3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

ushiro

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  1:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Hi guys!

I have one more problem :) i want to plot a dataset where my x-axis runs from -3 till +3 and then again to -3. When I simply use a file with for the worksheet

x | y
-3| 13
-2| 14
. . .
-1| 100
0| 130
+1|100
3 | 0
-3| 13

the plot shows only the first few values from -3 to +3 and ignores the rest :-/ How can I do this? Pleeeaase help! :)

Thanks
ushiro

austin75

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  2:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Could you post your full data here? It looks like many data may overlap on top of each other. For example, you have -3|13 at both the beginning and the end. They definitely will show up as one point instead of two.
Go to Top of Page

ushiro

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Mh there are many data points (511), I think that's too much for this topic here :) But you are right they are often very close together. I made a picture with paint to demonstrate in which way I like to plot my data and how they look like. Perhaps you know how I can do this :)

http://s1.directupload.net/images/110422/c9vknc6n.jpg

Edited by - ushiro on 04/22/2011 3:56:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

austin75

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  3:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Interesting plot. I never see a plot with x axis like this. Good to know. Let's wait for some experts' help.
Go to Top of Page

Laurie

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  3:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Try the following:

1. Right-click on your X column and choose "Set As: Disregard" from the context menu.
2. Highlight the Y column and create your plot. Origin will have plotted against row number.
3. Double-click on the X axis tick labels and in the Axis dialog that opens to the Tick Labels tab, change the Type drop down from Numeric to Text from Dataset. In the Dataset drop down list, choose your X column of data.
4. Click OK.

OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  5:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Also, you can try - in Tick Labels tab in X Axis dialog, choose "Tick-indexed String", and simply enter "-2 0 2 0 -2" in the next box.

--Hideo Fujii, OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

ushiro

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your advices. Laurie unfortunately the drop down list is empty when I choose "text from dataset". How can I change that?

Hideo Fuji, that works, thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000