The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Naming convention for workbook short names
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Gandi

USA
Posted - 05/31/2011 :  8:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
According to the Origin help, workbook short names (or more general, child window short names) must consist of letters and numbers only. However, it would be very useful to have a separation character (e.g. "Sample 5, 10 Kelvin" --> "S5-10K"). Dashes or underscores are suppressed, but I found that a single quote (') is accepted. It doesn't seem to cause troubles in scripts either, when a workbook with a single quote in its short name is addressed.

Still, are there any reasons not to use single quotes in child window short names?

Many thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------
Origin Ver. and Service Release: Origin Pro 8.5.0 SR1
Operating System: Windows 7

Gandi

USA
Posted - 05/31/2011 :  9:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
While using workbooks with single quotes (') in their short names, I discovered the following reproducible behaviour:

I open a new project and rename the short name of Book1 to A1'1. After entering some random data in col(A), I click "Set Column Values..." of col(B), and in the dialogue box I enter (2*col(A)). Upon clicking OK I get an errror message: "Mismatch parenthesis:(2*A1'1_A)".

Note that this error doesn't occur if I omit the outer brackets in the expression or if I name the workbook A1x1 instead of A1'1.

I assume this means that single quotes in short names of child windows should be avoided - any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  2:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Gandi,

Short name is not only a shorthand, but more importantly it is used as a reference in the script (either by Origin internally or by user's custom script), so I think it is safe to avoid the special characters as LabTalk as an interpreter interprets the code by substituting the strings.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000