The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Fit Function
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Alexander_1987

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5
Operating System: Windows XP

Dear all,
I am a complete beginner in this, and therefore I tried to follow the tutorial to create function: a=a0+k*D^n
here is the tutorial to a bit different function: http://qhwiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=Tutorial:User_Defined_Fitting_Function_using_OC

However this tutorial says to enter some initial values of parameters.
Can somebody explain to me what does this mean? I have no idea what my initial values are. I just have experimental plot and this function.
All I get is a red message that parameters were out of range :(

I look forward to replies.
Kindest Regards,
Alexander

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/18/2011 :  02:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

The Levenberg-Marquardt iterative algorithm (Which is used in Origin to fit a curve) requires initial values to start the fitting procedure. You can see some information from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenberg%E2%80%93Marquardt_algorithm

Actually, you don't need to totally understand the math. These values are just some initial guess, you can put some values which you think are close to the final fitted results. Or, the fitter will not start. If you really have no ideas for the values, try 1 may help sometimes.

Thanks
Larry
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000