The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 there was a problem sending the command to the pro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

edux

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  06:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 8
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Hi everyone!
I have a problem with Origin. The software was running smoothly till a few days ago. If now I try to start Origin or open an old Origin file, the pc takes several minutes to launch it. When it launches Origin it displays an error message "there was a problem sending the command to the program" and it shuts down the Origin windows. Then, if I start the Origin again, it will just take a few seconds to start the program. However Origin does not run smoothly as it takes 1-2 minutes to export graphs and open new workbook.

I do not think to have done anything wrong with my PC and/or Origin over the last few days.

Do you have any advise on how I could solve the problem?

Thanks very much for your help!

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  08:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This is a problem in Windows 7 that seems to come and go may be related to User Accounts Control. We have several reports of this problem, but cannot reproduce it 'at will' and therefore do not have a solution yet.

If you search the web, you will find that many applications experience this problem and there are a number of user-provided 'solutions', but there does not seem to be any consensus on how to resolve the problem.

When the problem occurs, you will probably find that Origin is running, but is hidden. Somehow this hidden instance contributes to the success of the second launch, but this hidden instance may also contribute to the slowness of Origin subsequently. If you close Origin with the Script Window open, you may see only the Script Window appear upon launching again. You can use
doc -m 1
in the Script Window to make Origin appear (but it will empty and the OPJ will not be open), or
exit
to shut down the hidden Origin. (You can also use Task Manager.)

Note that this problem occurs when you launch Origin by double-clicking and OPJ file in Windows Explorer, but should NOT occur if you launch Origin by double-clicking the EXE file or using the Start : Programs : OriginLab shortcut.
Go to Top of Page

edux

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Greg,
thanks very much for your help and your quick reply. I think you are right, it has something to do with Windows. I was using Origin on the 4th of October and everything was fine. Windows automatically installed some updates on the 5th morning and I have been having problems using Origin since then. I have also been thinking to restore the system to last week settings, but I would like to consider this option just as a final resource.

I have tried to launch Origin by double-clicking the EXE file or using the Start : Programs : OriginLab shortcut; there is only one Origin instance running now. It does solve the double start-up problems, but it does not solve the slowness in starting Origin and creating new workbook, exporting figures etc. Do you have any other suggestion that I could try? It is really frustrating having to wait a minute every time I need to open a new workbook!

Thanks again for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Lutwak12

USA
Posted - 12/02/2012 :  09:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I don't see any updates to this bug report since 2011.

I didn't have this problem before but recently (simultaneously) updated to Origin 9 and Win7 (from 8.6 and XP) and now I get this message every time I try to open an existing .opj file.

Is there a fix ?
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  09:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

This problem happens on some PCs and we didn't find how to fix it yet. But there is a workaround. Could you try if it works?

http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support/Consulting/FAQs/InstallationandLicensing&pid=1968

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  06:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

This problem happens on some PCs and we didn't find how to fix it yet. But there is a workaround. Could you try if it works?

http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support/Consulting/FAQs/InstallationandLicensing&pid=1968

Hello,

I have followed the instruction, yet the problem persists. I run Origin 9 on Windows 7 Professional. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

kippvs

USA
Posted - 10/16/2013 :  1:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, I also have this problem 100% of the time while opening a project from the .opj file itself. I do not have this problem when opening the project from an already open instance of Origin. I am using OriginPro 9.0.0 SR2 on a Windows 7 Professional machine.
Go to Top of Page

nrgroll

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kippvs

Yes, I also have this problem 100% of the time while opening a project from the .opj file itself. I do not have this problem when opening the project from an already open instance of Origin. I am using OriginPro 9.0.0 SR2 on a Windows 7 Professional machine.

I had this problem running origin 8.5 SR1 on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I was running as administrator in the compatibility settings. I turned off 'run as administrator' and now everything is working perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

amorse

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,
I used to have this problem, and actually still have it when I newly install on a fresh windows 7 or 8.

Here is the solution that works for me, all the time. I hope this works for you too.

Problem: Double click on .opj file does not open the project (Origin7.0 with windows 7 or 8)

Solution:
I assume you have a fresh install of Origin7.0 (might work on other versions).

• go to the windows registry (run > regedit)

• this directory:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Origin50.Graph\shell\open

• there you will see a folder named 'command' which has got a standard key pointing to your origin executable file.

• right click on 'command' folder and delete it. Then close the registry window.

• restart your machine

• Go to the origin installation directory, usually in drive C under program files (in my laptop was here: C:\Program Files (x86)\OriginLab\Origin7G). Find the Origin70.exe, right click on it and put the compatibility to Win Xp SP2. I also have 'run as admin' activated.

• now comes the main step. Go to one of your .OPJ data files. Right click on it, open with, and browse to the installation folder and select the same Origin70.exe that you worked on in the previous step.

• That's it. I have tried on about 5 systems, 4 win7 and one win8. And it worked.

• Good luck and please give your feedbacks if it worked for you as well.
    Thank you.
    Amin

Go to Top of Page

yunyoulu

1 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  11:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The same problem exists on my computer.

It turns out that for my case the cause is a slow-responding network printer.

My default printer is a network printer which responds very slowly but we can't fix it. Therefore, the startup process of Origin takes a lot of time trying to contact that printer. In the case that Origin is invoked by double clicking a project file, the operating system may think Origin is not responding after timeout.

Changing the default printer to another fast-responding one fixed the problem. Hope this idea help you find some clue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000