The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Area graphs -- multiple problems.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cramcha

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/1999 :  12:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,
I use Origin 5.0 very successfully for many different types of graphics. Unfortunately, there is one type of graph that is most critical to my work, and for which I have constant headaches with Origin. These are STACKED AREA GRAPHS.
The problems I have encountered are several, and are very serious:

(a) Origin will not stack data in a graph properly. I have found that this problem is related to the occurrence of blanks, missing values, and/or zeros in the data set -- but not always!

(b) Whenever the graph is switched from stacked to unstacked, Origin resets all of the axes, without a warning.

(c) The fill colors that I set for the different data series change inexplicably.
The colors change when the file is re-loaded
on the same machine, and when new data sets are added to the same project file. No changes have been made to my color palettes.

(d) One bug that I've managed to work around is the problem of plotting data sub-ranges in an area plot. If you try to plot parts of a single data series on different area plots, the results will be erratic. When using area plots, you must have a separate data file for each grouped data set.

Sincerely,
Charles Ramcharan.

Gary Lane

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 02/16/1999 :  3:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Charles,

I was not able to reproduce problem (a) at all on my computer. To understand, diagnose, make recommendations, and report bugs to our developers I must first be able to reproduce them. I suggest that you collect some example files that exhibit the problem you are experiencing and then send them in to your Origin Dealer's Technical Support department. A description of the menu steps taken to cause the problem would be invaluable as well.

Regarding problem (b) I think all you need to do is set the Rescale mode to Manual in the Axis dialog box.

I was able to reproduce the part of problem (c) that deals with adding new datasets to the layer contents of a Stacked Area Graph. I consider this to be to be a problem as well and will notify our developers. I was not able to reproduce any sort of similar problem when opening and closing the same project file. At the risk of repeating myself, I suggest that you collect some example files that exhibit the problem you are experiencing and then send them in to your Origin Dealer's Technical Support department. One additional thought...make sure your datasets are grouped and that Color is set to vary Incrementally (The Group group of the Plot Details dialog box).

Finally, I was not able to reproduce problem (d) either. Again, I suggest that you collect some example files that exhibit the problem you are experiencing and then send them in to your Origin Dealer's Technical Support department. A description of the menu steps taken to cause the problem would be useful in this case too.

Hopefully some of the information I have provided will be immediately useful to you. I am confident that if you pursue these issues you will eventually get them resolved.

Sincerely,

Gary Lane

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000