The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Intersecting Surfaces Plots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Carcassonne

14 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  10:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.0.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any possibility to intersect two 3D surface plots that do NOT have the same X and Y values.
As far as I understood from listening to this video http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Products/Origin/Graphing&pid=1721, this feature is supported only in case X and Y values are the same? Am I wrong?
In case, is there any possibility to circumvent this?

Thank you!

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  12:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
An older version of Origin did have this requirement, but that is no longer true in 9.0 as this image illustrates:

If you double-click on the layer icon in the upper left of a surface graph, you can use the Layer Contents dialog to add a second matrix which does NOT have to have the same XY range.

Also new in 9.0 is the ability to make a surface plots directly from XYZ data, including multiple instances:

and parametric function plots:

Edited by - greg on 12/05/2012 2:29:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carcassonne

14 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  05:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your answer!
Maybe I'm doing something wrong then, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
Please find below a screenshot.
If I click on the arrow (ADD PLOT) button, nothing happens....

Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  11:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The empty right side of Layer Contents indicates you started with an empty graph. It is likely then that you opened some graph template which was not appropriate for virtual matrix plotting, or there is some other problem.

You say nothing happened and yet you show three images where 'something' is obviously happening, so we have no idea what your actual situation is.

If it is too complicated to describe in a forum post, I suggest you send a project file with an explanation of what you are trying to do to tech@originlab.com.

Edited by - greg on 12/06/2012 11:14:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carcassonne

14 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
OK. I'll try to take a further look on this issue and I'll send the project file to the e-mail address you suggested if I don't manage to find a solution.

Anyway, the 3 graphs I'm showing are the ones I need to intersect.
I have clicked on the content layer menu of the first graph (left side) and the window I'm showing is the one that popped-up.
So, I haven't started with an empty graph.
It is not clear for me what you meant by 'you opened some graph template which was not appropriate for virtual matrix plotting', but I'll try to see if I can find where the error is.

Thank you for your attention.
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Looks to me you are plotting into existing graph and those may not be opengl based, and thus you are actually not using Origin 9's new opengl based 3D graphs. If you make new graph, then those will be Origin 9's new opengl graph, but existing graphs in your project, if from earlier version, would not be the new ones.

CP
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  2:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
BTW, here is the document of how to convert non-openGL based 3d graphs into openGL based 3d graphs in 9.0.

http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/Category/3D_and_Contour_Graphing.html#Convert_from_Earlier_Versions

To create a new graph window based on the active non-openGL based 3d graph window:
win -dg

To update the active graph into openGL graph:
layer -3d c

Note: We don't support converting graphs with multiple layer into openGL graphs.

Thanks, Snow Li

Edited by - snowli on 12/06/2012 2:40:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Your posted images does look like new opengl graphs, but I cannot be sure. Can you enter the following into the script window?

layer.is3dgl=

If opengl graph, then it should be 1, otherwise will be 0.

CP
Go to Top of Page

Carcassonne

14 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  04:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you everyone for your help.

From the results of the script window it seems that I'm actually using an opengl graph.

Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Could you save your project as an opj file and send it to tech@originlab.com?

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Carcassonne

14 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  04:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks. I have just sent the .opj file at the e-mail address you gave me.

Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  12:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

It turned out to be a bug in Origin.
When you highlight all data in worksheet and choose 3d plot.
In the Plotvm dialog, the Z Title (=VM name) can't start with number. In your opj, two virtual matrices are 7Be and 11C.

I reported it to our developers to see if we can have it fixed. http://originlab.jira.com/browse/ORG-7656

I have sent a modified opj to your email address with explanations and graphs I remade.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 12/08/2012 3:55:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carcassonne

14 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  07:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000