The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Data Annotation Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

schmuelle

3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  2:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.1 64-bit Pro
Operating System: W7

Hey guys,
I am having trouble finding help concerning a data annotation problem.
I have a Z column which applies to several Xn Yn columns. In my graph I plot the X vs Y values and I would like to annotate some data points with the Z value.
I have tried to customize the data annotation with something like

$(col(1)[i], .0)
$(col(A)[i], .0)

which do work when I use these strings in the data label option, but won't work when I use the data annotation tool. The result in data annotation would be "--".
It would be great, if you could help me out.

Thanks

schmuelle

3 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  01:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey Christy,
thanks for the quick reply.
You are absolutely correct about everything. Using the labels for single data points works fine with the custom formula $(col(1)[i], .0).

I was just hoping, that there would be a more convenient way to do this and the data annotation tool seemed great. So if I understand correctly, you are not able to use the
system.annotation.customlabel$="Peak is at $(x)"
script, mentioned in the user guide and refer to a different column / book within your project but outside of the x/y data range?
Go to Top of Page

schmuelle

3 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  12:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey Christie,
thanks for the reply.
The formula you gave me for the custom label does also work for the x,y data annotation (!)
Just put
%([book1]sheet1,1,i,.0)
into the data annotation and it works :)

Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For those who have not used the Annotation Tool, it's the second button in the Data Reader Group. Hold down the Data Reader button until the three member buttons appear. The second button - the Annotation button - allows you to double-click a point and add annotation text which can later be dragged around, but remains connected to its point by a line.
With the tool active, you can press the TAB key to cycle through the default labels:
(x,y)
(x,y)[i]
x
y
i
where i is the row index of a point.

You can add your own custom label using script such as
SYSTEM.ANNOTATION.CUSTOMLABEL$ = %([book1]sheet1,1,i,.0)
which retrieves the 'ith' row value in column 1 of sheet [book1]sheet1.
The additional, optional ",.0" tells Origin to remove decimal values.

That custom label would be too restrictive since it's hard-coded to refer to a particular sheet. Something more general, like:
%(%[%C,"_",1,i,.0)
is preferable.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000