The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Abnormal amplitudes removal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cruzo

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2017 :  5:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Good day,

Could not find a similar topic via “Search”, so please redirect me to the corresponding topic if I repeated somebody. I have a plot that I need to filter from abnormal amplitudes. My real signal is below 150 units (step signals), and have these spikes up to 2000 units before and after my real step signals. I was trying to use the “Smooth” option with a percentage percentile but it does not remove the spikes. Maybe because of the number spikes, hence the tool assumes that this is a real signal without noise.

So, are there any options (or maybe other settings) how I can get a filtered signal? Or at least how I can reduce the spikes down to 150-200 units, so I can clearly see and work on my step signal. Thank you in advance.

Edited by - cruzo on 09/25/2017 2:54:00 PM

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  06:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I suggest you can try our Spectral Broadening App.
It is particularly useful to broaden spikes in a spectrum.
Please down it from following page, then drag and drop into Origin to install it.
http://www.originlab.com/fileExchange/details.aspx?fid=399

Plesae note: minimum versions supporting this app is Origin 2017.

If you are not using Origin 2017, we suggest you can upgrade.
You can download a demo version to try it:
http://www.originlab.com/demodownload.aspx

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

nick_n

Finland
125 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  6:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

If you need only decrease spikes without affecting of data you can try that: in worksheet select column with your data then go to menu Column\Set column values..\put expression: col("Data")>150 ? 149 : col("Data"). That will find values bigger than 150 and replace with 149.
Assuming that your data are in column "Data", you can use e.g. col(B). Use 0/0 instead of 149 to delete wrong values.

Another way to remove artefacts is mask them by using Toolbars "Tools" > "Mask Points on Plot" or the same in worksheet: select column with your data then menu: Column\Mask cells by condition.

Best regards,

Nikolay
Go to Top of Page

cruzo

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  10:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JacquelineHe

Hi,

I suggest you can try our Spectral Broadening App.
It is particularly useful to broaden spikes in a spectrum.
Please down it from following page, then drag and drop into Origin to install it.
http://www.originlab.com/fileExchange/details.aspx?fid=399

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

Jacqueline, Thank you so much. I've tried the app, but unfortunately it did not work out really well.

nick_n, thank you! Before I've seen your message I tried to replace all values of y that are bigger than 200ish with empty cells. And after that I used "Reduce rows" and deleted all rows with missing values. Surprisingly worked out really well. Similar to your approach as I can see. Thank you very much for you time and help. Have a wonderful day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000